Saturday, December 17, 2022

Hostess Gift ~ It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in The Humble Bungalow

 


Festive Season is upon us and I am keeping things very simple.
Am wearing some sparkly vintage pins.


(Sherman pin ~ close up)


 Sherman brooches are a favourite of mine.
The newest one seen here is from our darling daughter. 
I popped it on a black boiled wool Eileen Fisher tunic sweater.

Some women avoid black but I gravitate to it for several reasons...
it is easy to wear,
it can be casual, or dressy.
It transitions well to evening...

My basic minimalist wardrobe relies heavily on black basics.
Accessories are the stars in a basic black ensemble.
I prefer pieces with a history...
Vintage jewellery is found in thrift shops, antique malls and online.
The thrill of the hunt excites me.


I found a new Finnish modernist votive holder at the thrift shop...
now I have a pair!
The silver baubles are from my childhood home.
Mom used to put them in a tall vase, I popped them in this silver trophy.

We don't have a lot of decorations...
a simple tree with white fairy lights


I found a pair of Josef Seibel boots 
to replace my tired "almost 8 year old" Chelsea Boots.
I will wear these with tights and skirts as well as my jeans.


A classic vintage handmade wreath made by a friend of my MIL.
Made with baubles, pine cones, rhinestone brooches.
I consider us custodians of this wreath...
it is a family "heirloom!"


Mixed Nuts are one of my go to Hostess Gifts.

Here's the recipe...

Mixed Nuts 

2 egg whites (at room temperature)
4 cups mixed unsalted nuts:
cashews, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne pepper or hot paprika
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Place egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until frothy.
Stir in nuts ~ mix to coat.

Combine in a small bowl: sugar, and spices
Pour over nut mixture.
Mix well.

Place on a parchment lined sheet pan spread out so they are in a single layer.
Bake 20-25 minutes 
stir halfway during the cooking time.
Cool then store in sealed jars.
Wrap in tissue paper add ribbon and a tag.
Ready for gift giving

BTW
They are delicious!!


Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

It's a busy time of year, so remember to take some time to stop and breathe, 
sip a cuppa and rest.

Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas.


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

You look beautiful in black, Leslie, and the sparkly brooch is a great finishing touch. I am on the hunt for some new black boots, too. Yours look great. Enjoy this beautiful season!

Susan said...

Merry Christmas! Thank you, as always, for inspiration! 🎄✨️❤️

Sheila said...

That's a gorgeous brooch, Leslie! I have the earrings and necklace that match it! I love your simple decorations - I didn't put up a tree this year, too much work/effort involved. Love your new boots! A very Merry Christmas to you and Mr. HB!!

Sue said...

I love your recipes. Your recipe for deviled eggs made me want to rush out and make them (I have printed it out).
Wishing you a very happy Christmas and New year.
Sue

LadyJicky said...

Merry Christmas and thank you for your blog ... I look forward to your posts.
I am trying to do a capsule wardrobe and I would love it when you have some time to post about yours and how to set it up.
I have too many colours and its just not working ! lol

Patricia said...

Merry Christmas, Hostess. You look great in black, and your pins look wonderful on it. (I love black too, and find it suits my colouring). What a great find with the boots, which look immaculate. I find I wear boots a lot when we go to Canada, it just suits the climate. PS We have booked to fly over in May, and I can't wait :)