Tuesday, November 22, 2022

DIY ~ Festive Wreath and a couple of Hostess Gifts

 


I purchased a basic simple wreath from the floral department at the grocers.
The price was good but I felt like it needed something more.
The DIY spirit in me spurred me on to add something...
but what?

I mulled it over for a few days
 every time I went out and closed the door I knew I had to act.


I had made a bowl full of dried oranges...
to add to Christmas gifts.

I followed the directions that Annie Diamond
at Most Lovely Things had shared in the December issue of BHG.

Basic directions are to cut oranges into 1/4 inch slices 
place on a rack atop a cookie sheet.
Bake at 225 degrees for 3- 4 hours until dried.

I thought they might look good on the wreath.

I used florists wire and tied them onto the fir boughs 
tucking them carefully into the fronds.

I think it looks natural and dresses up and adds interest to the simple wreath.


The theme for this year's wrap is simple and natural.
The local Michaels store had a wide variety of choices for wrap.
I opted for plain and printed kraft paper with a simple twine and tags.


My current favourite scented candle...
Black Fig 
by
~ Sand and Fog ~

The Sand and Fog brand of candles use soy wax and essential oils.
I prefer a "woodsy"scent over "sweet."

The vintage wood box is my "new" recipe box.
I found it at a local consignment shop.

The new box prompted me to go through all my recipes...
what a job!
Mom's recipes as well as mine were organized into categories
some were rewritten, most of mom's recipes are for the holidays.
She was a plain cook but loved baking.

I've been baking quite a bit lately...
cakes mostly, to serve as dessert or an afternoon treat with tea.


Bath salts are a simple hostess gift.
This recipe is inexpensive, quick and easy to make.
(you can double or triple this recipe)
If you look at thrift shops you can find some pretty glass jars.
I like to add a pretty ribbon and a simple tag.

If you are gifting a spa "pampering" basket
think of including:
a soft towel
soap
body lotion
candle
bath salts
chocolate bar
hand lotion


Do you remember those expensive flavoured instant coffee beverages sold in the grocery stores?

I am not sure if they still sell them?

Years ago a friend gave me this recipe and she shared it with many friends.
We all made batch after batch of this drink...

It has stood the test of time and is still a tasty beverage.

Looks pretty in a simple clear glass jar.
Think of a canning jar or a decorative canister.

Make some for yourself while you are wrapping the gifts this season!

I'll be making some of mom's cookies and fruit loaves in a few weeks.
Hope to share some of the recipes here on the blog.


Have you started to get ready for the festive season?
Are you feeling creative?
Will you make some or all of the gifts that you give?

If you are in The US you might be getting ready for Thanksgiving.
Hope that you are able to join with friends and family this year.

Thank you for popping by the blog...

Commenting continues to be a challenge, 
I have reached out to Blogger
but it seems that there is little tech support available.

So far it hasn't stopped me from posting...
it is a fun hobby.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

6 comments:

Sheila said...

I love the orange slices on the wreath - so pretty! We're having a pretty low-key holiday season, as L's mum has Alzheimer's. Sad, but nice to see the family. I celebrate US Thanksgiving...by watching football all day with our friends. I make a massive batch of chili (this year's is locally-sourced bison) and we have a grand time. We've been doing it for well over 20 years.

Not making gifts - I just don't have the time for it, but I do shop at second hand and thrift shops for my gifts (I guess that's my time right there, ha). I hope you are staying cozy on this blustery day.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope your Thanksgiving get together is fun! I am hosting a meet up with some knitters and we are doing a secret santa this year with the stipulation that the gifts are thrifted and coast a maximum of $15.
Its a rainy and windy day here today so i am hunkering down in the kitchen making some comfort food and will be knitting with a cup of tea this afternoon :-))

Susan said...

I love the oranges on the wreath and just placed an order for florist wire so I can dress up my Christmas wreath. I always buy a plain one and then decorate it myself but I have not used oranges. Thank you for the beautiful and simple idea!

Debbie said...

I love your recipe box! So well loved and full of many memories, I am sure. If I saw that an an antiques shop, I would be taking it home with me. Reading your blog always feels so cozy. I love your candlelight, your mention of knitting, and your great taste. I plan to take some knitting lessons next year and hope to learn to actually knit a sweater. For me, that will be an accomplishment. I have admired the pictures your have shown of your projects.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love these dried oranges too and there are so many ideas for their usage...wreaths, packages, garland, tree ornaments...hope that you have fun using them!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The recipe box was an unexpected find. The local yarn shop here in Victoria offers classes in knitting and all different techniques. I like the Vogue knitting book and You Tube for knitting project help. I find knitting so relaxing and it feels very meditative.I would suggest that you start with a small project like a shawl or a scarf and once you have that done then leap ahead to a sweater...there are many simple sweater patterns too and you may find one on Ravelry that you like. Happy New Year Debbie.