Tuesday, December 28, 2021

December Snowfall...and some snippets from the past few weeks.


We have snow!
It's pretty to look at but it is very cold.

I've been wearing my cozy cashmere sweaters and thick wool socks.
Bundling up in my puffy down coat 
(think Michelin man style)
hat
scarf
gloves


Fancy popping by to sit on the front porch with a hot cuppa?
The hummingbird feeders are freezing so we are rotating the two feeders 
in the cold snap of winter
the wee local Anna's hummingbirds rely on us to keep them fed.


Snowy scenes here in The Humble Bungalow Garden.


Abraham Darby a David Austin Rose
blooming 
while wearing a snow hat!


A fabulous book...
by author Alka Joshi.
The good news is she has published a sequel
 and is working on a third!


Lady Gaga was amazing in the film!
We saw it in the theatre...a matinee 
safely viewed with only two other people in attendance!

Lady Gaga is wearing the same pearls that I bought from a local shop.
Mary from Skanda sourced them from Hong Kong!



We discovered a new cocktail...

"Jingle Buck"

1 ounce Vodka
3/4 ounce pure cranberry juice
3/4 ounce lime juice
2 ounces ginger ale
ice
garnish with fresh cranberries

CHEERS!


I've felt at a loss for words on the blog lately...
perhaps it is writer's block?

Covid has worn so many of us down.
I want to rise up in positivity and rejoice 
but the new Omicron variant has us all in a tizzy.

Our numbers are surging and the hospitals are slammed.

We get our booster shots next week and for that I am very grateful.

I have been working on
The Doocot Sweater
I knit the body of the sweater and now I am working on the sleeves.
You'd think I would have this finished by now...
I started it before the pandemic hit!

When I attended the knitting club meeting I discovered that I am not alone in procrastinating with my knitting project.
Some of the women have taken up painting and several others bought bikes and have been meeting up to explore the scenic roads and trails.

I have made a conscious decision to focus on and embrace Simple Joys.

I feel happiest in my kitchen 
whether I am cutting veggies for a soup or baking cookies
or planning a menu to serve to my family
the contentment is hugely rewarding and comforting.

Two items that I purchased during Covid that have been most useful 
are linen aprons.

We have not purchased many things in the past two years...
we don't "need" much other than food.

Clothes shopping has been put on the back burner for the time being...
except for that "wee foray" at Eileen Fisher on South Granville in Vancouver!

I found a cute grey top and a sumptuous boiled wool sweater in a tunic length.
I bought the black one (of course!)

The sweater was, what I consider, an "investment piece."
It has been worn multiple times since I bought it!

I wore it Christmas Day with skinny Eileen Fisher pants.
I added a sparkly Sherman rhinestone pin.

Vintage rhinestone Brooches are such a fun way to add sparkle.

Hope that 2022 has some bright spots and highlights...
Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

17 comments:

annette said...

Your posts are so comforting.Thank you for taking the time to share your everyday joys.

Anonymous said...

Oh my ! Those whipped shortbread cookies!! I have made them weekly. They really melt in your mouth. Readers you are missing out if you don't make the.

Lorrie said...

Lovely snippets from the Bungalow. Yes, the pandemic is wearing. Maintaining positivity is important, but difficult at times. I like your focus on Simple Joys as a way to keep up one's attitude.
The snow has been so pretty and sparkly, and has provided great fun for the children (and their parents).
Happy New Year, Hostess, and I hope that 2022 brings you much joy.

Michelle said...

I always enjoy your posts; we share several interests. I have read and enjoyed The Henna Artist, I too have been feeding the little hummingbird that refused to migrate, enjoy knitting (also very slow at it). I also have the same Iittala glasses. Aren't they beautiful? I love the weight of them. I was given them as a wedding gift, and by the time I could afford to buy more I could not find them anywhere! Something to look out for in second hand shops.

So many of us are worn down by this never ending pandemic, and are mightily tired of it, doing the right thing when there seems to be no end in sight. At least this year we were able to have Christmas dinner with family.

Happy New Year to you, and keep looking for the small joys.

Noelle said...

I was delighted to see your post - I check every day hoping to see one. I especially enjoy your photos and book selections. In these trying times, no one has exciting news to share, but the simple joys you mention make for comforting reading. Happy New Year.

Patricia said...

Your posts are always cheering, even in difficult times. I love the snow pictures, cooling in our Summer heat! Such a beautiful picture of the rose capped in white snow. House of Gucci looks interesting - we have not been to a movie theatre in two years - just trying to keep safe. Perhaps it will pop up soon on Netflix for us. We are in Covid shock here, the borders having been opened and our largely Covid free existence has changed in a week to over 1,500 cases in Qld today. There are no plans to put us in lockdown and the Omicron is everywhere. You describe it well: In a Tizzy! Your new black sweater sounds stunning, especially with a rhinestone brooch: It is the small things which keep us going.

beth b said...

Your posts are always so thoughtful and soothing! No gatherings this year again for Christmas due to this awful pandemic ... it is quite wearing. But you've found beautiful things to focus on which is uplifting. And your book recommendations are always well-received. Greetings and Happy New wishes from Ohio!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for reading my blog and sharing your comments.
Happy New Year!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The cookies are rather addictive...great with a cup of tea in the afternoon and a wonderful hostess gift.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Happy New Year Lorrie.
We are fortunate to live in an area with lots of walks and trails...the snow has kept me closer to home as ther icy sidewalks and roads are rather slippery! Looking forward to warmer weather.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The hummingbirds are so tiny! We have been very busy keeping their feeders fresh...I love the Ittala glassware. We have a few of them and a large shallow bowl that stays on the dining room table when we are not eating at it! They are not easy to find locally but I saw them in Paris...if you can find them in a thrift shop that would be fantastic!!
Hope your New year will be one of peace, calm and hope.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope to get back to a regular posting regime...I've been distracted with books, baking, prepping for Christmas and knitting.
Best wishes for the new year!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We still have snow on the ground here but the temperature is slowing warming up. The Covid cases here are way up! Embracing Simple Joys are key for me to stay positive and they help me focus on the "small things in life."
Happy New Year Patricia

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have kept our social bubble VERY SMALL! Just our son and three grandchildren. I purchased N95 masks for going to the grocery store. Stay safe and Best wishes for 2022!

Maggie said...

So happy to see a post from you! I share all your frustration with Covid. We've seen immediate family only, which is an improvement on the 2020 situation. I wish you and all you love a happy and healthy 2022.

Honey Bee said...

Just love your winter photos. A hot "cuppa" sounds just about right these days. Today I noticed a lovely book, Cook More, Waste Less by Christine Tizzard. Her website has a wealth of ideas for seasonal eating. I'm hoping to do "An Orange Cleanse" next week for three days. Warm, comforting orange foods: veggies, soups, warm drinks, root vegetables. Even orange desserts: mango, peaches, cantaloupe. Butternut squash soup, Carrot Soup, Sweet Potato Soup. Ginger drinks. Looking forward to a healthy reset with some videos by Functional Medicine Doctors, and some online cooking instruction. A Do It Yourself little Health Conference. One video will feature Dr. Wil Bulsiewicz speaking about fibre.

La Contessa said...

WE SHARE THE SAME LOVE FOR BARQUE PEARLS........
I HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YET BUT I MUST!GUCCI IS HOW I MET MY HUSBAND!
I DO THAT COCKTAIL EVERY NIGHT MINUS THE VOLDKA!I use 7-up sometimes!
COOKING IS THERAPUTIC!HOW DO YOU SPELL THAT WORD???SPELL CHECK IS NOT ANSWERING ME!!!XXX