Thursday, July 9, 2020

Humble Bungalow July 2020

Greetings from The Humble Bungalow...

Our days continue to be quiet ones
as we seek out pleasant distractions in every nook and cranny.


Taking tea in a favourite spot in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

Tending to the many potted plants on the patio gives me great pleasure.
Hand watering gives me an opportunity to spot weeds and do some advance planning when removing spent plants.


A fragrant bouquet of sweet peas are a lovely treat on a sunny day 
after working long hours in the garden.


Our garden is host to many creatures...

European Wall Lizards
Butterflies
Bees and various other pollinators
Owls
Snails
Raccoons
Deer
Squirrels
Birds


Mama Raccoon as she descends from the next door neighbour's Arbutus Tree.
She was rading the crows nest!
The crows were cawing like mad and making a big fuss.


I snapped a couple of photos but Mama was growling at me so I thought I better sneak back inside before she got any closer.


A quick and lazy dinner that was tasty is just what I needed after a busy day.

Prawns sauteed in butter and garlic with an assortment of deli salads.


Marigold and Helen sweet felted mice made by https://www.williewoolly.com/
were reunited for a fun playtime with our darling granddaughter Isla.
If you haven't yet seen Robyn's felted creations 
do yourself a favour and treat yourself to a visit.


Isla made the swing!
We savoured our tea and had some girl time.


The antique porcelain tea set was my husband's great grandmother's.


Vintage enamelware in The Hunble Bungalow laundry room.
I love the battered look of these pieces and seek them out.

I've not really been to the "shops" much...
the garden centres are outdoors so I feel very comfortable shopping.

Thrift shops have not really been on my radar 
although I dearly miss perusing the aisles for treasures.

I do venture into Kay's Korner in the Cook Street Village when on my walks.
Karin is welcoming and has all the right safety protocols in place.
The wee jug on the left is from her shop...a recent Covid purchase.

Today I am on a mission to buy black mondo grass.
 I plan to plant them in big pot in our front garden.

 The deer do not fancy munching them and there is a bare patch that needs something to fill it.

As we navigate these strange times...

We must continue to be mindful of others respecting their choices
and not being judgemental.

Hope that you are well and staying safe.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


14 comments:

sandy said...

I had to come here from Dewena's window when I saw the name of your blog. I love bungalows and am always taking pics of the ones i see on a walk. And so the name the humble bungalow sounds so cute. Love your photos and that raccoon is adorable.

sensitive poet said...

Such vivid sweet pea colours - I imagine they must smell just heavenly! Adorable little felted animals, must think about them for my own grandchildren. The raccoon is a cute little fellow, but they are very territorial, and it is best not to challenge them...

Jeannine said...

Enjoy the pictures of your garden and those creatures. Especially the raccoon peaking through the wicker on the chair.

Jeannine said...

Enjoy the pictures of your garden and the creatures. Especially the one of the raccoon peaking through the wicker on the chair.

Lorrie said...

Home pursuits are important these days - and I'm so glad for my garden, as you are for yours. What a great capture of Mama Raccoon.

Mary said...

Ah, deer. The other night my DH said he gave a talking to Ms. Doe about not nibbling on my plants as she stood placidly listening to him from about 10 ft away (clearly unafraid). She's our neighborhood deer. In fact, she sleeps at the back of our property. Evidently, he did not impress her. That very night she ate all but one of my impatiens--roots and all--from the front garden. Doesn't take criticism very well, does she? :)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for popping by the humble bungalow! Hope that you enjoyed your visit!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The sweet peas are much bolder shades this year as I chose a different variety. I prefer the vibrant colours to the soft pastel shades that we have planted in the past. I give mama raccoon and her babies their space...I do not want to be bitten or scratched. !

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

She’s a curious raccoon and has a darling face but I wouldn’t get too close to her as she is a wild creature. We have had many families of raccoons here in our neighbourhood over the years. Last year they were nesting under our porch so we had to be very cautious not to disturb them.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I’ve been to the garden centres more this year than usual! Making some modifications in the front beds where the deer have been dining! Mama raccoon looks like she’s healthy and I have t seen her babies but we hear them chattering and calling at night.
Gosh our gardens have been such a gift during this pandemic. Hope you are keeping well and enjoying your summer holidays.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

When the doe came to dine on our Hosta she looked at me while she was munching and was not concerned at all that I was about 5 feet away from her! I was stuck in a bed where I had been weeding wedged between two hydrangea plants. I stayed still because she could have easily turned on me. After she had her lunch she enjoyed several roses for her dessert!
Both our deer sound like they appreciate our gardens Mary!

La Contessa said...

LOVELY PHOTOS.........
SOUNDS Like you are keeping busy!
XX

LadyJicky said...

Oh Sweet Pea's and Raccoons.... both cute!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the pictures of your garden and those creatures. Especially the raccoon peaking through the wicker on the chair....very nice collection of pics ..do visit our blog also Beauty Guest Post