Thursday, July 16, 2020

Calm and Soothing...


Serenity ~ peace ~ calm

Soothing thoughts 
 I cultivate on a regular basis.

Self care is not selfish it is vital to our well being.


First thing each morning I savour a cup of coffee.

Then I have a shower.

After drying off using a Belgian linen towel 
I apply an emollient lotion which soothes and softens my skin.

These may seem like simple rituals...
 and they are!

They are essential for my mental well being and health.

(especially during this pandemic when we are all living with stress)

Most days are spent in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
There is a lot of weeding, dead heading of the roses and general tidying up.

Sweeping inside the downstairs of the Humble Bungalow is a daily habit.
I used to despise this job but now I embrace it as an opportunity to meditate.

The repetative motion of the broom as it sweeps away dust is very soothing...

Home keeping is necessary and I have learned to enjoy most of the tasks.

It feels so satisfying looking at what has been accomplished after tidying up.

My reward is a cup of tea and a couple of chapters in the book that I am currently reading...


White flowers are so elegant..
they feel calm and peaceful
Serene.

Sharing these thoughts with you this morning has reinforced 
my daily habits of cultivating what I seek.

Hope that you enjoy your week.

Thank you for stopping by...
The Humble Bungalow Blog.

 ~Be Well and Be Kind ~

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I really needed your words today. Thank you for having and sharing them.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

OH...What beautiful white roses and against the stone wall - perfect.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I needed to write them and am pleased that they resonated with you today.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These white roses are the epitome of elegance and beauty. A vase filled with white flowers and green foliage are my favourite bouquet. 💚

Sheila said...

A soothing reminder to take care of ourselves, and the value of routines, no matter how small. Thank you for the lovely pictures, L.

beth b said...

Beautiful post .... your ritual is quite inspiring!

Sandra Sallin said...

It's always a treat and a delight coming over to read your blog. Just a breath of fresh air.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I crave order in times of chaos so daily rituals and routines feel very powerful and surprisingly calming.
Enjoy your weekend Sheila!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope that you find moments of peace and solace each day Beth. Slowing down offers up opportunities for these small delights.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah such a kind and thoughtful comment from you Sandra. You are a bright light and a such a gift to viewers on You Tube! I smile when I watch your posts! I love your energy ❤️

Rosie said...

Thanks for a lovely post. I have found that I sweep a lot more these days and get such satisfaction out of it too. It is surprising how such simple things can give pleasure.

Madame La-Bas said...

Daily routines and small pleasures keep us calm in challenging days.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

House work is a never ending job isn’t it? When we change our attitude about how we do these simple tasks it becomes much more enjoyable. I learned to love ironing after years of thinking it was a chore!
Enjoy your weekend Rosie.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Finding the silver lining each day through simple routines helps and a few moments of joy go a long way to enrich our days.
Take care Madame and enjoy your weekend! 💐

coco said...

Love the pictures and recitation of your routines...no matter how small they keep us grounded and feeling as if we can be in control of something! The flowers against the brick are beautiful.
I've had a hard time getting my routines in order as my retirement coincided with lockdown..yikes. So...hard to see what a retirement will look like. Hostess, when you retired, do you remember how long it took to get in a groove? Thanks by the way for your beautiful pictures !!

annette said...

Just perfect! Thank you for the gentle nudge to get sweeping outside. xo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh retiring was easy for me and I got into the groove within a couple of months. I joined a seniors centre that is in a beautiful heritage home with expansive grounds and walking trails. I learned how to play Mah Jong and joined a weekly bridge group. I cannot imagine how strange it would be to retire during the pandemic as life has changed so drastically for all of us. Once we get through this you’ll discover your groove. Congratulations on retiring and I hope you find some pleasant distractions to keep you entertained.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sweeping outside sounds impressive! I raked up the leaves from the Arbutus tree that were scattered all over the lawn yesterday in the Sunshine with blue skies overhead!

awhiterockgarden said...

Thank you for your reflections on staying calm!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We are so fortunate to have our gardens to enjoy, they also keep us focused and calm.