Friday, June 19, 2020

Life's little luxuries...


Diamonds, pearls and cashmere are definitely luxuries.
Luxuries worth saving up for but they are not the only luxuries that I love.

Luxuries...
what do you think of when you hear the word luxury?

Online dictionary meanings as found...

noun
"the state of great comfort and extravagant living"

adjective
"luxurious or of the nature of a luxury"

Luxury List

Having time to persue the things in life that bring us Joy
time to savour the richness of everyday living.
Spending quality time with family and friends.

good books

scented soaps and candles
fresh air
flowers

treating yourself to a manicure and pedicure

enjoying a coffee at a cafe

lunch out with friends

a long soak in the bathtub

a picnic in the park or at the beach

watching a classic film

trying a new perfume

finding the perfect little black dress

a fresh bouquet of flowers

There are so many things that we can embrace which elevate our days.


My latest luxury item will be delivered today and I am quite excited!

An apron made from Orkney Linen from Rough Linen

Watch the video of Tricia's story here.

I wear aprons in the garden and when I am cooking.

I am a messy cook!

I ordered the petite apron in charcoal.


Here is the corner of The Humble Bungalow Garden where I sit and take tea.

It is a calm space...
where I listen to the sounds of the birds and bees as they flitter about the flowers.

How are you faring these days?
Are you embracing this quiet time or are you missing the busyness?

Time to fill?
What are you doing to fill up your days?


Homekeeping tasks
garden beds to weed
roses to deadhead
there are a variety of jobs around our home and garden that need attention.

 I never really get caught up
the list is long
I make time in between jobs to rest
take tea
arrange a bouquet of garden roses
read a book.

I am grateful for the many activities that present themselves each day.

Thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

14 comments:

Sheila said...

Time is the luxury right now, L. This extra time, from working fewer hours, has been weird to adjust to for me. Your garden is so lovely. It's good to have that sanctuary.

Hope you are Mr. HB are well - thank you so much for your kind words about my friend.

LadyJicky said...

Its a beautiful sunny winters day and my husband and I are pruning our roses.

Michelle said...

You are right to enjoy the luxuries we are so lucky to have. Good for you for wearing your pearls on a 'regular' day! I also love a good soak with some nice bubble bath,a good book, and sitting with either a coffee or cider in the garden.

I'm sure you will love the new apron. I treated myself to a new one a few months ago. It's got cute cats in black and white. I also wear aprons quite a bit, once they get stained from cooking they are relegated to house cleaning.

Madame La-Bas said...

Luxury is an attitude that does not need to involve great expenditure. A chilled glass of water with lemon can be a luxury. Definitely any French or artisan soap in the bath...I looked at Orkney Linen site. I really like those aprons. I love an apron with pockets for house and garden duties. I also really liked the linen blanket/coverlet in any of those soft colours. With a husband and a little dog, I'm not sure how practical they would be but they are beautiful. Dreaming is a luxury too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hi Sheila, We are well and feel grateful for the excellent guidance that our health professionals are giving us as we navigate this Covid crisis.
Sanctuary is a fabulous way of describing our garden!
Stay safe

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah yes pruning is so important for the health of our roses. Enjoy your time outdoors.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You've must feel good wearing your new apron...and a cat themed one sounds fun!
I believe that pearls are meant to be worn frequently not languishing away in a box in the drawer! The new apron is lovely...the tattered ones which I had been wearing daily were just not attractive anymore. It was a necessary purchase and one that will elevate my everyday activities.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I totally agree Madame!
Good books, luxurious habits and always we can dream...
Enjoy your weekend!

Patricia said...

Your garden corner is so pretty, and I always enjoy a peek at your flowers. I have been busier than ever during the isolation period, working on upgrading the garden, extra house maintenance, and a little more cooking as no eating out whatsoever. I have been sewing a lot, catching up on many planned projects which never seemed to happen. Luxuries? They are personal, aren't they...for me, buying flowers occasionally, good chocolate, special fabrics like silk or linen, and flying business class to Canada all count as luxuries! x

Share my Garden said...

Pearls are uplifting, cashmere essential! I was given my first pearl necklace from an uncle for my twenty-first birthday and told to wear them often so that they would keep their lustre.
Love the last photo of the little corner of your garden, a perfect place to sit and drink tea - from a china cup, I hope!

Mundi said...

Enjoy your new apron!! But, even better and more luxurious are their linen sheet sets! Linen sheets on steroids. Yes, they are pricey but well worth the extravagance.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think a lot of us have been extra busy...I think it helps to keep our sanity!
Your luxe list resonates with me although I have never flown business class....that must be the ultimate luxury!!
Silk is such a sensual fabric...and cashmere...both so luxurious.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have several pearl necklaces all gifts...I need to have a few starnds restrung and hand knotted as they are rather loose after years of wear. I read that the oils in our skin help to maintain the pearls' lustre.
Tea outside is a luxury...what I would give to go out for a full on English cream tea right now...That would really be a luxury!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have a set of linen sheets from Lands’ End. Quite soft and cool in the summertime!
I use a satin pillowcase as it helps with facial wrinkles and is gentle on my hair!