Saturday, February 1, 2020

New eating regime that the science community says is proven to work ~ it may surprise you!



It feels like January was a loooong month...
Snow followed by winds and torrential rains
we broke rainfall records!

A lot of time was spent indoors keeping dry...
maybe just a wee bit too much.

February is finally here and I am not unhappy putting January behind me!


My doctor recently reduced the dosage of my thyroid medication.
He advised me to increase my activity and reduce my food intake to avoid putting on weight, he went one step further and suggested that I lose 10 pounds.

In order to achieve this goal I am trying a new eating regime that has been proven by science to work...

CBC has a podcast on their website about it and the reporter who covered the story lost 30 pounds by simply changing the hours when she ate and the rest of the day she was "fasting."

So my day starts with coffee and I do not start eating until around noon and stop eating by 8pm. I've added larger portions of vegetables and small leaner amounts of protein. Carbs have been left off many of the meals that I have prepared although I will have a few of them over the course of the week.


Chicken thigh and salad
I did eat a second chicken thigh as they were small.


Broccoli and a thin breaded pork cutlet with mushrooms and gravy.


Chicken breast sauteed 
topped with lemon juice and capers 
roasted vegetables
beets.


Love making a pan of veggies to roast.
The flavours are so much more intense.

The recipe that follows is a winner!


"Gail's recipe"

She was an Australian exchange teacher 
 at James Bay Community School.

I make this dish regularly and think of her.

My doctor asked me not to weigh myself every day.
He said once a week is plenty
suggesting instead that I use my clothes as a guideline.

There is some extra space in my jeans 
which is promising
and 
the scale reflects that I have lost a few pounds!

It is encouraging 
despite the fact that I have not been out walking
 as much as I should...

I blame the weather.


The clouds parted for a brief time when we were on our walk.
That glimmer of sunshine put a bounce in my step!


The Hellebores are blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden!

I purchased this plant for Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver a few years ago...
love the rich deep dark shade of the bloom with the lime green stamens.

A local shop 
"The Root Cellar"
is a farm style market
with a wide variety of vegetables and food.

They also have a garden centre
 a floral department 
 I enjoy going there for some inspiration.

So that's next on my agenda...

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


21 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Your roasted vegetables look so good, but then so does everything else. (-:

Good for you for loosing some weight and it will become even easier when you can get back to walking when the weather clears up.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Veggies are gorgeous and tasty!
I am trying hard to be disciplined and follow my doctor’s recommendations.

La Contessa said...

TESTING YOUR COMMENT THEROY!!!!!
FINGERS CROSSED!
YOUR NOT EATING MUCH...............
XX

Lorrie said...

Cutting carbs drastically for a week or two is how I lose a bit of weight. Your vegetables look delicious! Yes, I'm blaming the weather for not getting out to do my usual walking, too. It's been torrential!

Black Door Cottage said...

I'm using intermittent fasting too. I go from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and The carbs are my downfall, but I have been eating less of them. A few miles from us is a newly built community center which has a wonderful walking/jogging track on the upper level overlooking the sports arena. It has been a wonderful help as we can walk no matter what the weather does. I have also been doing restorative yoga and have noticed great results in the lowering of aches and pains. So glad you are finding good results too.

I accidently found your blog one day and have enjoyed it since. We have traveled several times to Vancouver and Victoria, loving every minute spent there. Hope to get back again soon! Thanks for posting your gardens, cooking, trips, and fashion....love it all.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hooray! I am taking my doctors advice very seriously. It’s a challenge but hope it will whittle Away those pesky 10 pounds.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love carbs too so I am only eating them a couple of days each week. Colourful veggies are very appetizing! The past weekend weather was great for walks! Hope you have a wonderful week! 💐

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your new walking facility must be well used in inclement weather. I haven’t found anything other than the local mall which I tried once but didn’t enjoy as much as getting out in the fresh air. It is a 15 or 29 minute drive so if it’s snowy I still have to negotiate the slippery sidewalks and roads as we don’t have much snow removal equipment here in our city.
Thank you for your kind comments on my blog.

Sharon said...

Intermitting fasting and OMAD (one meal a day) are easily adaptable to anyone's lifestyle and schedule. There are many websites about both methods of renewing your body and improving your health besides the added bonus of weight loss.
Best wishes!


HD said...

Thanks for the good inspiration and great photos. Rainy & cold here too, so looking forward to spring!

Robyn said...

Hello - I just found your blog through une femme d'un certain age and have now booked marked you to check back often. I have been reading backyards and am really enjoying all your content. Since I live just outside of Vancouver (and was at Eileen Fisher this past Sunday) I can relate well to your perspective. I took a look for the CBC podcast on your new way of eating and could not find it. Would you advise the actual name and include a link? Thank you for your inspiring blog.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have two meals a day lunch and dinner. I am already noticing weight loss and for some reason I have more energy!!! Yes Sharon there is information available online to find out more.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah Spring! I am keen to have brighter days and more flowers in the garden! 💐💐

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The CBC program is called Quirks and Quarks by scientist Bob McDonald. You can find a lot of information online too by googling intermittent fasting.
I love une femme’ s blog!
Did you buy anything from Eileen Fisher? I wear quite a few of her things. I appreciate her work ethics and ideals for sustainability. The reworked garments from returned cashmere sweaters look really interesting and edgy. The program in only available in the US but it’s a fabulous idea.
Enjoy your week!

Robyn said...

Thank you - I found it. Nothing purchased at EF this time but my wish list is growing. I agree also with her work ethic and sustainability efforts. Just noticed 'backyards' which should have been 'backwards'. (Where is spellcheck when you need it?)

Doré Way said...

Hi - the program on intermittent fasting talks about Dr. Jason Fung - a Vancouver nephrologist with two books that are helpful "The Obesity Code" and "The Obesity Code Cookbook".

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I also read that there is an app for this too!
It's working for me and I am so pleased and think my doctor will be happy that I am not gaining with the lowered thyroid medication.

Margie from Toronto said...

I've been doing this on and off for the past couple of years (back on it now) and it does work! Plus, I find that I'm not really hungry. Like you, I eat a few carbs but I've cut down drastically from what I used to eat. The longest that I've managed the fasting part is about 21 hours - and it wasn't too bad. Good luck with it.

Margie from Toronto said...

I have both of his books and he has a great series of videos on Youtube.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh 21 hours!!! Yikes that’s hard work.
I will have to check out the You Tube Videos.thank you for mentioning them to me. I saw his book at the bookstore but didn’t buy it. I may check to see if the local library has a copy.

Jerrine Wire said...

I am very impressed with Noom as a support for diet wellness...it is not a diet, it is easier than WW, and everyone I know that is using it loves it..if you are looking for longterm support you might like it too.