Sunday, July 28, 2019

Slow start to Sunday morning...


Romneya Coulteri

the paper like petals are so thin and wispy
almost like butterfly wings
they flutter in the gentle breeze

The renovations are still underway...
I am staying at home while the crews are on site.

I am missing my walks and the freedom to come and go as I please.

The painters have finished priming the woodwork.
 The drywall crew will be here on Tuesday.

When we are finished and I have purchased the bedding and we have set it all up I will share the pictures with you but it may be toward the end of August before that happens.

In the meantime,
I am keeping busy by reading, gardening, knitting and cooking.
Cleaning out a drawer here and there, doing laundry, and blogging.

We helped our son move this weekend.
His new house is an older home in good condition with a beautiful garden.
It is on a dead end street with a park at the end.
Families with young children as neighbours.
Hope that our grandchildren will meet some playmates on the street.

The back yard is fenced and very private.
Trees line the perimeter and there are some roses, hostas and day lilies.
A lovely patio is right off the kitchen.


William Shakespeare Rose
by
David Austin

Soft velvety petals set in deep frilly cups.
Fragrant and a hardy repeat bloomer.

One bloom can float in a clear glass bowl and make a bold statement.


I finished reading
Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout.

She has a genuine gift
a keen eye for detail
like a talented artist she paints her story and characters with incredible depth.

This is a haunting novel, about a family who grew up in poverty
in a small rural town in America.

The children who
endured a childhood filled with fear and disappointment
due partly because of their dysfunctional parents 
are adults now and looking back.

 This book follows the characters from 
My Name is Lucy Barton. 

I am almost finished it and am having difficulty putting it down!


Knitted cotton dish cloths are a quick project.
I can easily make one in a day...
if I wanted to sit more 
I could make two.

Its a beautiful sunny morning here and quite warm.
Think I will go out and hand water the garden before it gets too hot.

Until next time,

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

17 comments:

Jeannine said...

I look forward to seeing the reveal of your bedroom renovations. I'm sure you're anxious to be done with the commotion. Your son's new home sounds lovely. I can almost smell that beautiful rose through the picture!

Susan said...

I look forward to see your finished renovation--complete with new linens. I always enjoy hearing about the latest book you are reading.

Sandra Sallin - Apart From My art said...

It all sounds so lovely. Have not read Elizabeth Stout. I'll put it on my list. More book recommendations please. I'm running out of books.

Madame Là-bas said...

Renovations are horrible! Our side of the building is not scheduled to be finished until the end of October. In a strata, we pay but have no control over the workers. I keep finding detritus from fast foods in the gardens. I really like Elizabeth Strout. I read My Name is Lucy Barton so I would probably enjoy Anything is Possible. I've been thinking about bedrooms lately. I'd like to get rid of my "bedroom suite" have an upholsterd headboard in grey linen and my blue/grey quilt cover. I would keep one of the nightstands and replace the other with an interesting side table I hope that your son will enjoy his new home.

Anonymous said...

Renovations are always a bit disruptive. Sounds like you are accomplishing much and keeping busy at home. Very satisfying. Your garden plantings are beautiful. Everything seems to grow to perfection for you. Your son's home sounds wonderful. How nice to help out with the move and see him settled nicely in a great home and neighborhood. I just finished watering pots and new plantings. 90+ degree heat is tough on our gardens. Susan

Kathy said...

Would love to have the pattern for the knitted cotton dish cloth. Is it available? I am very new to knitting and very basic in my knowledge and skill.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The move went quite well as there were strong young people helping. We visited again yesterday and sat out in the back yard on the patio while the children ran through the sprinkler. We had lunch and really enjoyed the garden. Lots of birds and butterflies flitting about. Feels like a real home.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am excited for the project to be finished too! Looking forward to new crisp fresh sheets and bedding. I have just purchased a small coverlet for the bottom of the bed and a memory foam mattress protector. Shopping is the fun part...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh you have a great in store if you haven’t read her books! She’s a fabulous writer.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah yes the mess! It’s not too bad here because the crew take away their garbage but I am dealing with the dust and there’s plenty of that here!! Your idea for a bedroom makeover sounds like s fun project. Maybe that’s what you need to do to distract yourself from the Reno’s outside? Creative outlets can be so soothing.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The garden is pretty established so the plants are healthy and happy. But it’s been trial and error along the way. I cannot grow hollyhocks or delphiniums both plants that I love. Oh and there are others that have failed to thrive over the years too. We just grow what we love and what works with our heavy clay soil.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I went to Pinterest and found The pattern and sent it to you. Hope you got it. It’s called grandmothers dishcloth pattern.

Denise Cotton said...

Nice Story! Thanks!

KSL said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your bedroom remodel - the nuisance will have been well worth it, I'm sure. I loved Lucy Barton so will get Anything is Possible - thanks.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

:-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You'll love this book if you enjoyed Lucy Barton.
The drywall is up and the mudders come today so it is finally taking shape.

LA CONTESSA said...

Love those FRIED EGG FLOWERS!
Sons home sounds PERFECT!