Thursday, July 2, 2026

Slow Living ~ Rebuilding my wardrobe one piece at a time


Where to start once the culling, donating, and consigning has commenced?

What are the wardrobe workhorses?
What to buy first?

How many garments does one  actually "need"?

I've purchased several pairs of pants as they were the most needed...
the bagginess of a pair of jeans or pants cannot be camouflaged like a dress.

First purchases = JEANS!
(are you surprised?)

Spanx dark wash high waisted pull on wide leg
Mos Mosh basic jean medium wash cuffs fold up 
Off white "jean style" pants

Black slim pull on ankle length pants
Linen mocha wide leg pants
Slim ankle length cotton cream with a blue stripe

I am happy with all these pants...they fit and look decent.

I've kept several of my X large shirts...
pale and regular wash Gap denim shirts
blue and white oversized striped Ralph Lauren shirt

Most of my Tees still work.

Next order of business is a white linen shirt.
One that is closer to the body but can be used as a layering piece as well.





How long do you think it would take to find the best white linen shirt?

I looked for weeks at the thrift and consignment stores but no luck.

Off to Marshall's...
I took 5 shirts to the change room and tried them all on and critiqued each one.
Two made the cut but I planned to only buy one.



In the end I chose the Sigrid Olsen shirt.
The fit and the details nailed it...also at $39.99 it was a winner!


Shell buttons
cleanly finished
pockets that sit flat



Even stitching
goes with pearls :-))


Pale denim jacket goes with the striped pants
assorted white tops for layering
one striped Saint James cotton tee
black casual waffle dress 
 did not make the cull...


Linen thrifted Habitat black and grey print skirt 
which sits lower on my hips but still works
shown here with a new locally made black linen top.

Black large Fig half zip polo sweatshirt.

I've kept a few dressy dresses in the guest room closet...
so stay tuned for more updates.

Fall and winter will require some warmer layers...

I have 4 sweaters at the ready:

Grey cashmere V neck pullover
Periwinkle cashmere cardigan by Saint James
Black cashmere turtleneck by Lord and Taylor
thick wool vintage grey cable sweater pullover by Gap (menswear) thrifted

Rebuilding a wardrobe is going to be a challenge.
 I am feeling very positive as I know that I don't need to rush.

I'm fussy and frugal and enjoy the hunt and willing to wait for the right piece.
(at the right price)

In the meantime I am leaning heavily on accessories.


A pair of black pants and a white linen shirt.
Add these fun pieces and I'm good to go.


Soft pink linen Italian Scarf/Shawl
Pearls
Chloe fragrance


Thank you for the positive feedback on my last post.

Posting might be sporadic...I feel encouraged to keep my blog going.

Will post on Instagram when I have a new blog post published...

If you enjoy slow living, simple life and easy stress free tidbits
 you are in the right place.

It might be DULL to some 
(you know who you are )
unapologetically 
it's my lifestyle vibe...

I've nothing to prove, no timeline of when to post,
no agenda per say
just random snippets of my simple life. 

Thank you for being here :-))

Take Care
XO

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

34 comments:

NancyO. said...

Your posts are never dull. I find them very calming and am happy that you will continue. Thank you!

Miss Merry said...

You have an amazing sense of style.

Jenny H said...

Leslie,
That is wonderful news that you are going to keep your blog going.
I absolve love your blog and I find I can relate. I find at this stage in life, I buy only what I need. Most of my clothes, I can mix and match and use accessories to change it up. I purchase good quality clothing and it can be second hand or a new piece. I love the thrill of finding something I need at a second shop and I try not to buy something, because it’s a good deal. I love your linen scarf and those pearls are gorgeous. You haven’t mentioned your new hip, so I hope this means, you are starting to feel yourself again. Your roses are so beautiful, you are very good with capture their beauty in photos. Take care, and I look forward to your next blog. Enjoy the summer.

Anonymous said...

I'll follow your shopping expeditions with interest. I struggle to keep my wardrobe reined in. I have bought too many things on impulse!
Honora

Anonymous said...

Hello Hostess, your shoes look very comfortable, what is the brand?
Kathleen in Oregon

nan crawford said...

When you are posting, I am appreciating. Thank YOU for being here. And I always love seeing those amazing pearls!!

Patricia said...

I really enjoyed this post. Your wardrobe is so beautifully curated, and you always look stunning. The white linen shirt for $39.99 is a great buy and looks lovely, and I really love your soft pink scarf which will go with absolutely everything!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your blog! Please keep it going…not an instagram fan.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for deciding to continue blogging, Leslie. It's wonderful that your oasis of calm beauty will still be enjoyed by myself and so many others. I enjoyed this post. You have a real eye for classic, well-made clothing. Debbie

Anonymous said...

Leslie Congratulations again on your weight loss; you must be feeling proud of the accomplishment and healthier too. I've always liked your wardrobe's limited color palette. It's effortless chic and seems very French to wear neutrals, with signature accessories like pearls and interesting scarves and shoes. Nice find on your new linen top; it looks very good on you with Black and denim.
Glad that you will still be publishing when the mood strikes because it is always a treat to see a post from you! Have a lovely week ahead.
Erina

Anonymous said...

Love your slow life posts. My life isn’t slow but my ambition is to live as though it were. I’m so grateful that you’ve decided to keep blogging, it’s like a cup of tea on a windy day. Your clothing choices are lovely, so good to wait for the right piece at the right price. ~ avicennia

Anonymous said...

I have always admired your capsule wardrobe. I am trying to work into my own version of that as well! Looking forward to seeing your updates! Becki

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Good to hear!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It hasn't come easily...through trial and error!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The HIP is almost perfect...a bit more time is needed to get the full range of motion but I am VERY happy!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You always look amazing...I love your style and think it suits your personality...dressing your truth sounds like a mantra that might be your style.
And your pearls....well I swoon when you wear your lovely strands!! We might be pearl sisters!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

TAOS and they are so comfy...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh the pearls were such a crazy purchase...I was meant to be flying off to PARIS and Covid hit...I got a refund on my airfare and felt trapped at home so I decided to buy something completely luxurious...I have never regretted that purchase...but now I need to go back to PARIS!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The Italian pink linen scarf was sourced locally at al a mode consignment....the soft pink works with my grey hair and denim jacket....I bought it on the spot...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Instagram is so easy to post on...I post every day...my account is private so if you change your mind pop by and request to join in.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I wonder if my beloved MOM is watching me with these fashion posts! She was my inspiration for so many years...
XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Erina I love the sound of your name...it sounds exotic...I think a limited colour palette is key for the minimalist wardrobe....it is how I pack for international travel in a carry on...happy to have you as a long time reader...let's keep this positive energy going!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Slow living apparently is a "thing" who knew? I'm slowing down here on the blog....2009 I was posting many times each week ...sometimes daily! Things change...I am not consuming so much...labels have lost their lustre for me...I am more honest and life feels more simple and I am overjoyed by the freedom to post whatever I want and not necessarily what I thought my readers expected!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Becki...small wardrobes are very efficient...it makes dressing easy...I hope you have fun with your capsule wardrobe and enjoy getting dressed each day!!

Anonymous said...

Those black trousers look great on you. You've done a good job of focusing on which wardrobe essentials to purchase that suit you and your lifestyle. Makes me think that I spend far too much time in jeans and need to branch out a bit.The thrifted skirt was a good find and the linen top is just right with it. I love that pink scarf. Your blog is calm and friendly and it's a comfort after a trying day. Thank you for sharing.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Fashion should be fun...it's rather creative and at 71 I am not too bothered about what's considered trendy or cool...I opt for comfort and dress to suit my personal lifestyle. The black pants are by Rachel Roy and are an ankle length easy to wear and slim enough to be versatile...I found them at Marshall's which is one of my go to store these days. I love jeans though and wear mine regularly...am wearing my denim Bermuda shorts today with the black linen top...have the pink linen scarf and a black half zip sweatshirt by Fig as extra layers in case the winds pick up. Enjoy your week :-))

Sheila said...

The bird brooch is lovely! I like the classic colours, lines and pieces you have.

Anonymous said...

I’m just catching up on the blogs I read and was so upset to read that you were thinking of giving up your blog. I do hope you don’t as I love it. It’s laid back, slow, interesting and not at all dull.
We now live in an apartment and have communal gardens so gardening is no longer my thing but I’m more than happy to read about yours. Your blog is not dull, it’s perfect for those of us in our retirement who move between doing very little or not having a minute in the day.
I don’t normally comment, but I wish you continued recovery from your hip replacement and look forward to continuing to read about your lovely life.
Susan D

Hilde said...

I have been a reader for a long time but never commented because English is not my first language. But I want to say that I love and admire your capsule wardrobe and it helped me to build one of my own. I still have too many clothes, but whenever I wear something out I ask myself if I really want to replace it. We don´t have many second hand shops here. In a city of 110 000 inhabitants, there is only a small Oxfam shop. So I have to buy mostly new.
Hilde in Germany

Kristin said...

I love your wardrobe. Simple. Consistent. And congratulations on the reason for the need to cull. I can identify the pieces I own that don’t fit the narrative but with no good reason to get rid of them, I let them hang around.

And, yes, thank you for your blog. It is an island of calm and beauty

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

That bird brooch was a Salt Spring Island thrift shop find...I love the thrifts on SSI!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think communal gardens are a lovely way to potter about in the dirt when one no longer has a garden of their own...I can totally relate to your comment about being idle or full on busy!!
It's feast or famine with the social calendar.
The hip continues to get stronger and flexibility is improving.
Take care Susan

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Greetings Hilde...A capsule wardrobe is very functional and a better eco option that over consuming. Hope you continue to enjoy popping by my blog.
Have fun :-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It is easier for me to cull and keep my wardrobe small because we have limited closet space...it is stressful when the closet is too full as the doors won't close properly and the clothes get scrunched.
I prefer calm and peaceful days...if I book too many appointments and social engagements I feel pulled in too many different directions like I used to feel when I worked full time and juggled home, children and my job.
Sorry to be late responding but I was away on vacation...