Saturday, June 20, 2026

Mid June Snippets ~ Gardens, Roses and Pearls ~


I must be busy if I am not posting more frequently...
(that is true)

The Humble Bungalow Garden is a riot of blooms
 so we are "full on" with the maintenance.

Add that to the home keeping jobs, grocery shopping, and cooking.
Exercises from the physio and walking.
Reading, and all the "new" appointments since we acquired a nurse practitioner.
HOORAY!

Our long time doctor retired and we cut loose...
so we are very happy to have been assigned a new practitioner.
She's amazing and VERY thorough.


Snippets from my favourite garden on the recent Teeny Tiny Garden Tour.







This delightful garden is on a street off Oak Bay Avenue.

It is an OASIS of beauty...
lush green plantings...
Hostas, Boxwoods, Trees, Roses and many cozy seating spots.

I peeked in the windows of the charming home and was so smitten...
white ironstone, shiny silver, art and a kitchen that looks so gorgeous.

I am sharing some of our roses so if you are tired of seeing them LOOK AWAY!


Gertrude Jekyll Rose

We moved her last year...she's finally put down roots and is blooming.
  ~ VERY FRAGRANT ~


Graham Thomas
 a David Austin Climber...


We actually need to rake up the rose petals!

Deadheading roses and managing black spot are ongoing tasks.


Sunshine and Roses...
a lovely combo.

Hubby and I have been outside in the garden most of the day.

Lots of things require our attention.
If we stopped doing these jobs the garden would be a TOTAL jungle.

While we are outside the hummingbirds flit about, 
we can hear the house finches chattering, 
the boat horns from the Inner Harbour.

Some car traffic, occasional buses and the neighbour children laughing.
(sometimes fighting and screaming)


Volunteer Poppies in the gravel drive.


I wore my mom's pearls this week with my denim jacket.
These baroque pearls were a very special gift to mom from my father...
who was not a very demonstrative fellow.

This gift was a cherished one for mom
  she wore them several times every week.

I feel very honoured to have been given them...mom knew I loved pearls.
They GLOW...and RADIATE LOVE.


My view from the laundry room...
Joseph's Coat Rose.


~ Strawberry Hill Rose ~

A David Austin Climber...one of our newest roses.
it is a STAR performer.

Loads of blooms and a carpet of pink petals that YES need to be raked up.

I'm repeating myself...and often...
Janet at The Gardener's Cottage has stopped posting
 saying that she has said everything.

I am wondering if it is time for me to close the door on The Humble Bungalow?

Things change...
I'm not the same person I was when I started this blog.

I've matured and my tastes have changed...
not even sure if there is an audience out there that wants to read my posts.
And that is OK.

We are living in a new era.

I am slowing down and not buying a lot of things.
I'm wearing clothes on repeat.
Going for walks, reading books and eating simple meals.
Feeling gratitude for everyday life.
Embracing simple JOYS.

It might be rather DULL.

SO

I'll mull it over and see what I decide.

In the meantime...




~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

50 comments:

Lorrie said...

Your roses are always stunning, Leslie. This is definitely the month to enjoy them. I always enjoy your posts and would not like to see another blogger stop.

Patricia said...

Leslie, your posts about your days at home or at the cottage are a lovely (and important!) reminder that sometimes the simple things in life are the best. I'll certainly be reading your posts for however long you want to share them. I miss Janet's regular posts, but sometimes one pops up unexpectedly, and that is a delight!

pégase said...

Bonjour, je vous ai découverte il y a peu. Je suis en France en Bourgogne et je prends beaucoup à vous lire. Je me doute que cela n'est pas toujours facile de mettre des mots sur le bonheur simple du quotidien, mais cela fait tellement de bien à lire. Nous sommes à l'âge du "profiter" "ralentir" vos écrits sont dans cet esprit et c'est très bien. Laissons aux générations "actives" le déballage d'achat, de vie à toute vitesse. Il n'y a pas beaucoup de question à se poser. Cela vous fait-il plaisir d'écrire ici ? si la réponse est oui alors continuez, peut importe "l'audiance". Vous vous doutez que je souhaiterai que cela soit oui, je suis assez casanière et je voyage grace aux blogs. Le plaisir de certains le matin, est de lire le journal au petit déjeuner. Je fuis les informations (mais je suis quand même rattrapée...) et moi mon plaisir du matin c'est voyager au travers des blogs (Canada, quebec, "états unis", grande bretagne, belgique, suède et bien entendu France). J'espère donc à très bientôt et en attendant merci pour tout vos partages. Je sais je ne suis pas très locace habituellement et je m'en excuse.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and hope you’ll continue to share snippets of your life with your readers!

Marguerite said...

Janet I never find you dull. I enjoy sharing all snippets of your life, your beautiful home and garden. It's well over ten years I've been reading and I get you may want to move on, but I will never tire of your graciousness. We all need loveliness in our world

Anonymous said...

What a shame if you stopped! Reading about your new quiet life is just as interesting as most of your readers have also changed with time too. But don’t let posting become a chore. Whatever you decide….☘️☘️☘️

Anonymous said...

There is a season for everything. Your posts are a breath of fresh air; however, if you are feeling more inclined to just “be” and not write a blog that is your inner self speaking. You have brought pleasure and peace to many of us. I appreciate all your efforts and wish you well.

Charlotte McGuire said...

Hello…I am a long time reader who enjoys your posts very much and am always checking to see if you added a new one. I just wanted to express my thanks for all the times you have brightened my day with your stories and gorgeous photographs. I have a brown thumb so am especially appreciative of all your beautiful roses and other flowers. I certainly understand if you’re ready to put the bungalow to bed and concentrate on your health and enjoying your beautiful home and family, just know that you have been an inspiration to me for years and I will miss “hearing” from you. You’ve fostered my love for flowers and nature and inspired me to search for my own Iittala Festiva candlestick. I’m certain you’ve touched many lives like mine that you are unaware of. Thank you again for all the joy you’ve added to my days. I’ll keep reading as long as you keep posting! Take care

Hilde said...

You are a breath of fresh air because you share your life with beautiful photos, recipes, clothing finds, books and so much more. Most blogs while informative are vehicles for promoting products that are sponsored or telling us what is appropriate to wear, eat, etc. You are genuine and relatable and change is inevitable but I for one would miss your posts.

Linda said...

I’m not generally a commenter, but I do hope you continue writing and posting. Your blog is my favourite, filled with charm, grace and serenity. And, David Austin roses!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have made it to the Teeny Tiny tour. That garden looks adorable! I have been doing many of the same tasks as you. This morning I've been moving the sprinkler around. I could wish for an irrigation system! Honora

2ndheartmom said...

I love your blog - it is simple and beautiful and calm. :) We need that right now. Thanks for sharing!

christy said...

I always enjoy your photos of gardens and roses and hearing about your life. It reminds me to slow down and enjoy the moment. Life does change and you must not feel obligated to write when you don't feel like it.

Ms. Liz said...

I do not comment very often. I want to let you know that i do enjoy your blog and Instagram posts. Quiet is a lovely thing to share! I am the same as you - enjoying a good cup of coffee in the morning, the blooming garden (so many weeds though as I am not able to weed yet post surgery) and books. I understand if the desire to blog is fading but I want you to know that there are many of us who look forward and enjoy your quiet posts.

Anonymous said...

Please keep blogging, although I understand if you want to slow down and skip it! I always enjoy your thrifting finds.

Judith said...

Leslie, I hope you continue to post. What you share is far from "boring". What you share is an inspiring, grounding and delightful glimpse into a well- lived life.

Brenda Dugaro said...

Your blog is a pleasure to read. Love the photos, book recommendations and your snippets of daily life! Would definitely miss but understand if you decide to ‘retire’.

Laura J said...

As others have said..your posts are islands of calm and helpful reminders to enjoy and be grateful for the now. Obviously do whatever is best for you but your blog is enjoyed

Anonymous said...

Oh PLEASE keep posting ... I love your beautiful photos: your garden, roses, cooking, clothing choices, pearls,, & so on. It is a treat to look forward to ... an oasis of calm in a turbulent world.
from Lynne in Ontario

Anonymous said...

Hello Leslie, I’m a long-time lurker/seldom poster, but my sentiments echo many of the above. Your blog is a rare gem of tranquillity and appreciation for the simple joys of life in a sea of “influencers” pushing the next “must have”. I too look forward to reading your posts and would miss them if you stopped, but life changes, we change, and you keep on doing you. Thank you for sharing. Elaine

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for years. I can understand if you feel ready to give it up, but I want to tell you I enjoy so much the fact that you are not always pushing your readers to buy this or that, very often things I cannot afford. (I do realize that bloggers earn an income by doing this.) Your home is lovely! It's a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous said...

I will chime in to say that I, too, very much enjoy anything you post. It’s hard to define why! There is a calm and a charm - your blog is like an oasis.

Colleen said...

Your blog is one of my favourites dear Leslie. I would like you to continue blogging, but fully understand if you want to step away. You have such a personable way of 'talking' to us, and I do like your gentle nature 🍂

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your posts and love the quiet way you express yourself -- whether it's about flowers, finds, the cottage, roses, outfits and of course, pearls! I imagine it can get a bit tedious to write and sometimes feel pressured to post, but for as long as you feel the urge to share, we'd love to keep reading! not sure why comments are now Anonymous on my screen, but this is Adele, from New England.

Patricia said...

Dear Leslie, your Blog is a breath of fresh air, and I always love to see your beautiful photos, your home and garden. How I would love a volunteer poppy at my place! You look so cute in your Mother's pearls and denim, and I really admire your style. Say hi to Gertrude Jekyll and Strawberry Hill who are absolutely gorgeous. I remember Janet's blog too, and love the occasional re-appearance. Do what you feel is best, or even take a break for a time. I nearly gave up, but then realised I wanted to go on. Life does indeed throw up new challenges and I wish you continued good health and happiness, whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

I too enjoy your blog. I love the peek into your home and gardens, what you are reading, what you are cooking, the knitting project now and then. I share your interest in home keeping, family, gardens, reading, writing, and making things. And while I love a good thrifted find and take pleasure feeling happy about what I wear, I have neither the budget for nor the interest in endless wardrobe updates which is the topic of many blogs. If blogging has become more of a chore than a pleasure for you, of course I would not wish that for you. But, if you decide to stop, please know that your virtual companionship will be missed!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts and hope to visit next Spring (I live in CA). I'd love to know the name of the garden off Oak Bay. I hope you continue to post your lovely pictures and talk about the beautiful gardens where you live, but I also understand you must listen to yourself. Thank you.

Jane H said...

Good morning, Leslie!
Please know you are read and appreciated, particularly from your Port Townsend neighbor! We share our small part of the globe on the water. Different countries but so much the same. Bread baking, gardening, books, the weekly menu. The dailiness of life. Isn’t it lovely? You’ve written for many years, and only you can decide if you wish to continue. But please know that this bright charming spot of calm in a world of anxiety is what I look forward to and I am confident that I am not alone, Enjoy the day..Water early, we’re going to get some heat today!

Anonymous said...

As other readers have said, only continue blogging if you still enjoy the hobby, but oh my! I'd miss you! You've created an internet place of beauty, and your posts are always interesting. Never ever dull. I look forward to your appreciation of the everyday and your talent at taking photos to share bits of your life with us. It makes me appreciate my life more too.
Your roses and garden look amazing now, and how pretty that rose gold chain looks with your skin tone; also seeing your Mother's baroque pearls and how you style them was wonderful. Pearls and you just pair perfectly. I have some, and they are sentimental and mean worlds to me, but I never wear them. Anyway, thank you for this post Leslie and the time you take to blog.
Erina

Anonymous said...

Your blog is an unfailing delight in a fraught world and a new post from you is always such a pleasure. It’s lovely to read your gentle, perceptive reflections on life and to have a glimpse of your part of Canada. Thank you from a fellow rose lover in the UK. Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Please continue to write your blog - I love reading your posts and seeing your gorgeous photos.

beth b said...

I so enjoy your posts, Leslie. You've surrounded yourself with beauty, simplicity and thoughtfulness. I enjoy your flowers from afar ... and envy your green thumb. As well, I've read a number of your book recommendations. Thank you so much for showing us what life well-lived can be. I hope you stick around for a while!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for years. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it!!! I love seeing your home - grew up in a house built in 1914. Your stories of domestic life always bring a sense of calm - much needed at times. Your garden is a joy - a beautiful contrast to the arid landscape of Southern California. And I so enjoy your stories of clothing style, beauty routines, and, of course - pearls! Whatever you decide to do - thank you for all the pleasure you have given me through your blog over the years. Be will and be kind - wise words for sure!!! Bridget

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie ~ I agree with all that's been said, but wanted to add that I'd love to hear more about where you are in this particular phase of life, and what your process will be as you decide whether to continue with this form of communication. You have an authentic voice and a lovely lifestyle that I relate to and would miss hearing about. Thank you for the effort you've put into this expression of creativity. Deb in Austin

Deanna said...

I love reading your blog. It is about "us" at this stage in our lives. I hope you decide to continue, but if you don't, we will understand. I love reading about your thrifted finds, your garden, and the visits to your Quarter Deck Cabin.

Anonymous said...

Oh please don’t stop! I so look forward to posts. Shopping, gardening, cooking, books, and your thoughts on life. I love it all. There are so few blogs for us of a certain age. You would be sorely missed!

Anonymous said...

As always, so lovely to read about your garden, homekeeping and daily life.
The simplicity of your photos is always joyful. I have been a loyal follower, occasional commenter. I agree with all the others, we would truly miss you.
You inspire us! ❤️
Joan in California

Joan said...

Dear Leslie,
I’ve never commented before, but please know that I very much enjoy your blog, and your reader’s comments. I live in Northern Ontario.I am of similar age to you, have been married a similar amount of time, and share many of the same daily life pleasures - family, cats, gardening, reading, walks, knitting, collecting Iittala glassware, etc etc. In today’s world, with all of its pressures, it is so nice to know that there are many of us out there who take great comfort and joy in the little pleasures each day brings. That life is not about consumerism or always trying to meet others’ expectations, whatever they may be. Your blog connects all of your readers and affirms that slow, mindful living, and being kind and caring for each other, and self, is a very good thing. I wish you all the very best, whatever you choose to do regarding your blog. Thank you for all of your years of writing.

Miss Merry said...

Thank you for the wonderful stroll through the flowers! Your pearls are lovely.

Anonymous said...

As many of your commenters have already said, I too look forward to reading your blog. I enjoy looking at the photos you post of your garden , hearing about your thrift finds as well as your recipes.. Your Mom’s pearls look lovely on you. Vicki

tahoegirl.blog said...

I was just thinking the same thing on my blog. I started it in 2012 so 14 years. But my life has changed since my husband died and I'm not sure i have anything left to say. I enjoy your blog, but do what you have to.

Anonymous said...

So nice to see you healing from your surgery. I look forward to your blogs and check daily to see if you have posted a new blog. I love cooking, walking, checking out second shops. I also love to walk, be out in nature and my favourite pass time which I find therapeutic, is looking forward sea glass. My husband and I are hoping to come out to BC and do a road trip. I just love the ocean. What ever you decide to do, I want to thank you for all of your blogs over the years. I will certainly miss reading your blogs. Wishing you all the happiness and joy. Sincerely Jenny

Jeannine said...

Never tire of your roses, your garden, or whatever you care to share! Love the garden you toured as well - just lovely. Also, you are looking very well!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you keep blogging

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog, and.look forward to each post. I am an older gal, and find your content relevant. I love the Thrifting, Clothing hauls, Recipes, Book reviews, just the daily activities. I hope you continue posting, but truly hope you are enjoying the process. I find as I get older it is important not to do an activity I am dreading. ❤

Mom said...

Oh, the missing would be real!

Anonymous said...

Leslie… I have been checking weekly to see if you have a new post..and today you were there !! You are new to me and I have enjoyed your posts immensely.
It seems we have a lot in common..same age, retired, vintage shopping and gardening. I realize that keeping up with this site must be time consuming..but I really do enjoy its calming effect . The pearls are gorgeous! Hopefully you wear them often. Thank you for sharing 💝

Sheila said...

Always write and post for yourself first. If it becomes an obligation or chore, or you feel guilty, it's totally okay to just call it quits. I called my blog Ephemera because everything is fleeting - I always expected blogger to pull the plug and I'd lose it all...and I'm okay with that.
I always enjoy your posts - you have a serene voice and your home/roses are amazing. It has been lovely knowing you, getting to meet you and I hope we run into each other some time.

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I echo many others in hoping that you continue blogging. I find all that you post to be calming to the soul and I look forward to your flower photos, makeup recommendations, and recipes. I also love seeing your thrift store finds and beautiful collected sea glass! Please don't feel like you have said all that there is to say- just continue saying the sorts of things you have been for many years. Your readers love it. Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie, your blog has always been a favourite, as a fellow Victorian I am delighted how you share our lovely city and province. Your scone recipe is my go to. You would be immensely missed! Thank you for sharing! ...Rita