Thursday, January 18, 2024

Week of wild weather...


Beeswax candles glowing...
adding ambiance on a frigid cold day.


Very snowy here these past few days...
not a lot of accumulation in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
Other areas of Victoria have a LOT more!
Schools were closed, traffic was snarled, buses got stuck.

Mr HB and I stayed home.
I read books, played word games on the computer, 
knit a few rows on The Sophie Scarf,
decluttered and cooked.


Chester seems unfazed by the snow.
He is an indoor cat so he isn't really affected by the weather.
He has been taking advantage of having Mr. HB home...he's snoozing on his lap!


Chester asleep on the cat blanket.


I make soup for many of our lunches.

This spice was in a French Country Home subscription box.
It is made by Compagnie Francaise...
peppers, turmeric, oregano, thyme, curcumin, paprika, sage, basil, tamarind, onion, cinnamon.


The Christmas Cactus is still in bloom!
I bought this orange cactus recently...I love the bright shade of orange.


Here I am just before my Aqua Fit class....
no make up, just lipstick.

My decades old Burberry scarf, Columbia Puffer coat and a hand knit gift hat.
The Sally Hansen Insta Dri nail polish matches one of the stripes!!


Post swim relaxation.

Reading an interesting book by Lesley Crewe called Amazing Grace.
I have not read her books before but I am really enjoying this one.

What are you reading?


The weekly sourdough boule baking is still very much part of my routine.
I keep the sourdough starter active stored in the fridge.
The recipe I use I found online at Alexandra Bakes.

Cooking, baking, cleaning all these things happen here in The Humble Bungalow.
I accomplish a lot everyday but I intersperse the jobs with rest and tea.


I've been wearing these pink gloves to wash the dishes.
They are help my manicure last longer!

What is the weather like where you live?
We aren't used to snow so any amount can mess with the commutes of workers.
It makes getting around much more difficult...especially when the buses are stuck!

Tomorrow the forecast is for warmer temperatures and rain.
I think the snow will melt quite quickly and we will all resume our normal activities.

I plan to get out for some groceries and perhaps peruse a thrift shop or two.

Have you found any treasures recently in the shops?
I go into shops with an open mind and look at all the stock...
if I go in with a certain item in mind I find that I feel stress.

You never know what is waiting in the thrift and charity shops!

~ Happy Thrifting ~ 


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

9 comments:

Laura J said...

Stay warm! And what an amazing cactus colour!

Lorrie said...

This has been quite the week for weather! We have about 6-8 inches on the ground where we live. It's very heavy, and is beginning to melt this evening. A slushy mess for tomorrow morning.
Soup and bread are the perfect ingredients for a snowy day lunch. Enjoy getting out a bit tomorrow.

Sheila said...

I was hankering for a shop today, actually, but my plans were foiled by the snow! I stayed home and worked on some art instead and it was a lovely relaxing day. Chester is so cute!

RK said...

That sourdough bread looks wonderful! Cold and snowy here in Massachusetts, too, and my skin is drying more and more. Tubes of pretty and delicious-smelling hand cream are a treat and that William Morris looks to be both. I have a different but also lovely William Morris set and am saving the tin for small knitting notions. I keep vowing to use rubber gloves as they help a lot, but I'm not very good at keeping it up, I'm afraid.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Laura J ~ I am going to have to venture out today and get some groceries! Will combine it with a thrift shop visit :-))

Lorrie ~ Oh you live not far from a friend and she texted me a picture of their garden which is very much a winter wonderland! Enjoy your weekend.

Sheila ~ Chester is a cute fellow and he is very much "in charge" here in The Humble Bungalow!!!

RK ~ I think you must have a seriously deep snow...I know what you mean about winter weather and dry skin. I use Derma E vitamin A serum and it really sinks into my face...I also like the Avene facial spray. The William Morris At Home hand cream is so good isn't it? Stay cozy.

Anonymous said...

I love your tennis shoes! Sounds like you had a very cozy day.

Suz from Vancouver said...

Staying cozy at the Humble Bungalow was definitely the right plan. The snow was crazy here too. Vancouver just doesn’t have the capacity to deal with it. Being retired means I’m lucky to stay home. I got my snow shoveling time which I really enjoy ( probably because it’s a unique experience).
Thanks for posting, All The Best for 2024.
Suz from Vancouver

Jane H said...

What a difference a week makes! We got about 6 inches of snow and then the ice drizzle. Had to stay home and cozy up. Finally got the chains on and went to the grocery store. A thrill!
All melted now in Port Townsend!

I have to agree with RK about rubber gloves. Great intentions but poor follow thru.
Enjoy the sun!
Jane

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Anonymous ~ Thank you they are really comfy to wear!

Suz from Vancouver ~ I am impressed that you got outside and shovelled snow!! Isn't retirement fabulous?
The rain is so much easier to deal with...Happy New Year!

Jane H ~ We must have had a similar amount of snow...fun for a few days but I like it when it melts! Enjoy your pretty town, I loved it when we visited way back in the day...so many beautiful Victorian houses and interesting buildings.
I keep the gloves out so I see them and put them on...if they are hidden away I forget...these hot pink ones have a cute cuff detail so I like wearing them :-)) We have a bit of rain today but I had aqua fit at the pool, then housework and grocery shopping so I hardly even noticed it!!