Sunday, December 10, 2023

December 10th...a catch up post.

 


Time is ticking along at a very fast pace here in The Humble Bungalow.

Between the domestic jobs, baking and cooking I have been absent from my blog.
I continue to post daily on Instagram...
it is so much faster!


I use the tourtiere recipe found online though our local Yam Magazine.
In case you are not familiar with Tourtieres, 
they are a French Canadian tradition to serve during the holidays.
Basically they are a pork pie.

I like to serve ours with a good chutney or a grainy mustard.
They can be part of a dinner buffet or serve them with a simple tossed green salad.


Chester, the smaller of our two cats, finds the coziest spots to nap.
He actually folded the extra pillow downward to make a plump bed.
It looks a bit like a throne...


We have our "cat proof" tree up.
Chester can climb it but there are no fragile antique ornaments to break.
We learned the hard way...one year the tree toppled over and many delicate glass baubles were smashed.

We keep the "fairy lights" on the upper beams up all year.

Have you decorated your home for the festive season?
We are minimalists when it comes to seasonal decor... do you like to go all out?


I started knitting The Sophie Scarf.
Using wool from my Stash...two skeins of Rowan's Felted Tweed Yarn.
This is the yarn that I used in my latest Miriam sweater.
I had to go to You Tube to watch the I-cord pattern set up.
It seems that with each new project I discover and learn new skills!


The sweater turned out lovely and the wool is so soft and cozy.
Our weather has been rainy, foggy, and we had high gusty winds.
Sweater weather has definitely arrived!


Reading Mrs. England right now...
a friend gave this to me.
I picked it up early this morning and am already on page 80
I really like a book that gets and holds my attention within the first few pages.

I've decided that my Christmas baking will be greatly reduced this year.
Last year we ate far too many sweets...
I plan to make shortbread and butter tarts that's about it.

I put together a gift hamper for my cousins every year.
I vary the contents from year to year keeping a very British theme.
They receive a tourtiere, sweets, treats, pickles, tea, and a few other baked goods.
I cannot remember when I started this habit but it has become a fun tradition.

What traditions do you have at Christmas?


Our traditional wreath...
made for my Mother in Law by a friend 
consisting of baubles, pine cones and rhinestone brooches.


Mini lights and the Ojibwa tamarack ducks.


Wrapping is a very simple affair...
I use Kraft paper, twine, dried oranges and tags.
All are recyclable.

Are you feeling festive?

Will you be hosting a large or small dinner this year?
Perhaps you'll be a guest!

There are a lot of opportunities for giving at this time of year...
giving time and giving donations.

We need to think of others...
there are so many people in need out there.
Every little bit helps.

Drop off a bag of food at the local Food Bank or drop a donation in the Salvation Army Kettle.

Well I must close for now...

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

17 comments:

Susan said...

Such a lovely post! I love the picture of your cat in the chair. This year my family has some sadness so I have not decorated for the first time in 20 years. I still have my fall decor out, which I love and am participating in Christmas festivities and volunteer events. Next year is sure to be better.

Thank you for such an interesting and beautiful blog. 🙂🎄✨️

Jeannine said...

I've become more of a minimalist with Christmas decorating - things change and it's okay. I do know what you mean about the treats! I still make several different cookies - this year there are 9 different varieties. There are standards that "must" be made and then usually something new which sometimes becomes a new standard and sometimes not! I do keep the cookies in the freezer, so having them last even into February works well. I also give some away. I just noticed that your dining room ceiling is dark green - lovely!

Jeannine said...

Your sweater is lovely!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Susan ~ We seem to feel Sadness more intensely during the holidays...I know for me I have a few tears every Christmas remembering my dearly departed loved ones. Hope you will find support through friends and family and it may help to ease your burdens.

Jeannine ~ Wow 9 varieties of cookies...I bet you are very popular when you come bearing those treats! I used to bake way more when we hosted the whole family here...things have changed a lot over the years and our Christmas is much quieter with us hosting smaller gatherings and being invited out. Hope you enjoy the holidays!

Brenda N said...

Hi Leslie! I so enjoyed this holiday post, what a nice getaway. Your kitty Chester looks like he's doing his version of "The Princess and the Pea". Your sweater turned out beautifully, I love the color.
Christmas decor went up here about 10 days ago here. I have a quick system- everything's on 2 shelves in the hall closet and it only takes a couple hours, including our little "woodland" faux tree. We keep it simple and then I find things to add here and there.
Gifts were wrapped and mailed off a week ago, just a couple local ones to do. I'm having fun planning the holiday meals, but might only bake one or two treats. Spritz cookies are a favorite.
I've added "Mrs England" to my reading list.
Take care :)

materfamilias said...

Such a cozy post! You're much more prepared for Christmas than I am, but I'm determined to at least put together a shopping list for the tourtières I'll bring to my sister's Christmas Eve gathering and the trifle my daughter wants me to make for the Christmas dinner she's hosting. We're doing a full turkey dinner the week later when we'll have all four of our kids' families here -- really excited about that, but trying to keep things simple and slow-paced so my energy lasts through into the New Year when we have another meal together (Dim Sum at a local restaurant) and they begin to go their separate ways again.
I really appreciate your reminder to give to the needy in our communities. I'm so grateful to have organizations around us working hard to help, and have found a few to support. Times are visibly harder (especially not far from us, in the Downtown Eastside) than they've ever been within my lifetime here.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sweater and the color is just gorgeous! So envious of your skills.
Your home looks warm, cozy and inviting. I have a string of lights in my kitchen and a small tree too.
Always enjoy your posts Leslie.

slcgiraud said...

Leslie -- I cannot find your instagram so I'm surprised by your comment that "it's much faster than a blog post." Where is it? I enjoyed it so much and now it's gone! I've been worried that something horrible happened to you. Could you provide a link on your next blog post?

Wishing you and your family the best.

Elizabeth Giraud, Salt Lake City

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Brenda N ~ Sounds like things are all in good Nick at your home Brenda! Festive and organized! I think you'll enjoy Mrs England...just finished Sari Lapena's Everyone Here is Lying...WOW what a Thriller! Enjoy your holidays.

Materfamilias ~ Oh a big gathering with your family sounds wonderful! I plan to make trifle when our darling daughter and her husband come over for turkey dinner...I find it more difficult with all the news of war and try to focus on things that i can have an affect on in my own community...even small gestures make a difference. Enjoy your festive preparations and savour those delightful moments with your family.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Anonymous ~ Your small tree must be pretty all lit up in the kitchen...I tried having one but Chester the naughty cat just kept chewing it!! I thought he might electrocute himself so it had to be put away.

Elizabeth Giraud ~ Have you got a new Instagram Account? The reason I ask is that I looked at an account that appears to be yours and there is only one view, no photo, no followers and no posts? I am perplexed that if you follow my blog why did you think something happened to me?

Sheila said...

Cats, they always seem to find a place that is Theirs - Chester's throne is just such a spot!

I decorated this year while I was off for a week plus with Covid (I "finally" got it). It took ages, but I'm so glad I did it - the lights make me feel so cheery.

I just had a tourtiere on the weekend - they are so yummy! I don't do any baking (too tempting) but we do have a full social calendar.

I'm finally biting the bullet and will be getting an iPhone in a couple of weeks - I'll be back on Insta (I was kicked off it last summer for not having a phone, sigh).

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sheila ~ Our Chester loves his new chicken flavoured High blood pressure medication...we get it at the compounding pharmacy on Fort near Cook. His regular HBM was unavailable due to a shortage...it is a wee bit more expensive but he likes it better so I think we'll keep having it compounded...he is a rather Regal Cat!

Covid is a nasty bug...I know so many people who are slammed with it...some have pneumonia as a result.
Oh you will love the IPHONE!!! It takes fabulous photos. Let me know when you are up and running on Instagram...I will avidly follow you :-))

LadyJicky said...

Your sweater and its colour is beautiful !
Its summer here so I get my dog his summer groom which is always around Christmas and then I make gingerbread biscuits . This I do every year too.
We are going over to my daughter's house this year and I will bring bits and pieces for the table.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely sweater Leslie, beautiful knitting.We will have family and a few friends over the season, looking forward to that. I really enjoyed this post, thank you for continuing to blog! Also, always here for the book inspiration too. Happy Holidays! From Rita, Victoria

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Lady Jicky ~ I choose colours that POP when I knit something...I am slow at knitting so I like to enjoy looking at the yarn while I work!!
Gingerbread biscuits sound delicious...enjoy the festivities with your friends and family.

Rita ~ Oh thank you for taking the time to comment on the blog...I have been busy with baking and errands as I was sidelined with Covid for a couple of weeks, so I am just getting back into the swing of things.
Hope you have a wonderful and festive holiday!

Laura J said...

Have a merry Christmas!

Laura J said...

That sweater pattern is lovely as is the wool!