Sunday, August 27, 2023

Sunday August 27...where did the week go?

 


~ Jude The Obscure Rose ~

I don't know where the week went?
Lots going on here, 
among them...


I've been busy in the kitchen roasting the tomato harvest.
I pop the chopped tomatoes in a roasting pan 
(whole cherry tomatoes in a glass dish)
sprinkle with salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil
liberally top with crushed garlic.

400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Cool them then pop into freezer bags.

I add them to tomato sauce in the fall and winter for an extra pop of flavour.


We purchased a Nespresso machine!

I loved the Nespresso coffee in Paris at The Hotel Belloy.
That was in 2015 on my first trip.

I loved their sweet treats and coffee in the lobby after a long day exploring Paris.
Many other guests gathered and we'd chat about what we had seen and done.
There was such an air of excitement in that lobby 
as ideas and insights were exchanged.

I recently enjoyed the coffee in the Ocean Promenade Hotel in White Rock.
My husband wasn't sure it was to his taste but we visited the store in our local mall.
The clerk made us a coffee and he liked it so much that we purchased a machine.
We've got 3 different varieties of coffee and both of us like the Stormio.
It is smooth and strong, just the way I like it!


I have been reading this fabulous book.
I borrowed it from a friend and WOW it is wonderful!

I have read most of Jennifer Robson's books and loved them and this one is a treat.
Her latest book The Coronation Year will be on my radar next.


Dinner party dessert offering...
(dessert plate a gift from darling daughter!)


One piece left... a few crumbs


I added skinny slices of fresh lemon
 made a batch of whipped cream to top the pieces.

Not sure where I found this recipe?
I have made it before and love the moist texture of the cake.
It is simple to make and easy to transport.

We took it to our friends home as we were invited for dinner.
We had appies on their private back patio
they
 served us a delicious middle eastern themed main course.
I didn't take pictures and probably should have as it was so beautifully presented...
served in rustic earthenware pots and serving dishes.

Yesterday I went to the garden centre to check out the stock.
I was looking for some more hostas for our shady front bed.
Alas there were not many hostas left...
I did buy one.


I decided on a black planter 
for the front walk just by the stairs.

Added a few perennials and voila!


I recently posted this picture on my Instagram and since then I have several enquiries on the shade of the Miss Pupa from Milan lipgloss.
It is number 305

My local Pharmasave used to carry the Miss Pupa line but have discontinued it.
Miss Pupa have a website and you can order all their items easily.

I am going to go and finish reading The Gown so I will close for now.

Thank you for taking the time to pop by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~ 

7 comments:

Patricia said...

A lovely post, full of pretties. I have immediately decided to download The Gown onto my Kindle, and look forward to reading it. Your black planter looks very smart, and beautifully arranged. If I had not just begun a diet today, I would have been after your recipe for Citrus cake - it looks absolutely delicious. Happy hostessing.

Judith said...

Thanks for another inspiring glimpse into your culinary and gardening life. Inspires me to pay more attention in my own domain! 😉

Anonymous said...

I will certainly try the dessert, it looks refreshing. As always, you look glamorous in your pearls.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Patricia ~ I finished The Gown and loved it...just got The Coronation Year from the library this afternoon so will be starting it soon. Good luck with the new diet!

Judith ~ Enjoy your days and have fun exploring new and different ways to add to your daily round.

Anonymous ~ Hope you enjoy the cake recipe. Pearls certainly do add lustre to any outfit...my Mom loved their beauty and passed this appreciation on to me.

stacey said...

We love our Nespresso machine here too! The Mexico pods are a new favorite. The Gown was a wonderful read, I am going to put in a request for The Coronation Year at the library as soon as I sign off here.
We have had a great lemon crop this summer and have been enjoying them in everything I can think to put them in, as well as freezing lots of lemon juice. It's so easy to make a jar of lemon curd when the juice is already done!

Sheila said...

The weeks certainly fly by! There's nothing like finding some frozen roasted veggies in the freezer months later, when we are in full gloom.

Hope you are doing well, Leslie!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Stacey ~ Oh it must be fabulous having fresh lemons in your garden! Lemonade, curd and lemon loaf would be high on my list for fresh lemons...I managed to get a copy of The Coronation Year at the library recently and will be reading it as soon as I finish my current novel! Hope its a great story...Jennifer Robson is so talented.

Sheila ~ I think we might have an extended warm patch of weather this month...our apples are not quite ripe yet, they need a few more weeks and then I will be totally immersed in preserving them for the fall. I'll cut some for the freezer and make some applesauce and keep the rest for eating. Enjoy this long weekend!