Sunday, August 6, 2023

Cottage Holiday ~ A few Snippets and Tidbits...


Cottage Time is so relaxing.
We find that we cocoon and relax and by the time we leave we are completely rejuvenated.

I suppose that is what holidays are all about.

We see the most beautiful boats sail by Quarterdeck Cottage.
This sailboat moors in the bay.
We watch the boat as the owner manoeuvers it out to sea and hoists the sails.

On this day there was a full crew aboard...
they were out for several hours enjoying the breezes.

We watch as the ferries pass by the cottage.
We play a game...
Ferry Yahtzee.

If there are 5 ferries all in view we call out Yathzee!

Our two weeks at the cottage seemed to fly by...

Our son and grandchildren were at the cottage for the first week.
Lots of fun activities and games.
The pool is still very much a favourite with all of us.

Meals were kept simple
desserts were served
we nibbled on snacks ~ chips and popcorn
ice cream cones were almost a daily thing!

Once they all departed it was almost TOO quiet...



My husband walked his 6 km island route in the mornings.
I puttered in the kitchen, planned our meals and shopped at the market.
Read my books, knitted on the Miriam Sweater, perused some magazines.

My walks are focused on the beaches nearby
I went to the end of the road and wandered down to the beach...
the tide was way way out!
Two fellows were fishing off the rocks but I had the beach to myself.

I took a leisurely saunter back and forth looking for sea glass.
Not much was found but I had a pleasant time walking.


The current jar is almost full...
I have quite a few jars full here in The Humble Bungalow.


Found an antique Lenox dish at the thrift shop.
The details are so pretty ands the porcelain is so luminescent.
Smooth and delicate, too dainty to leave at the cottage.


Blue label indicates that the dish is pre 1930.


We invited friends over to spend the day.
I don't think that they had ever been to Pender before. 

They arrived early on a direct ferry around 9:30
so I made The Barefoot Contessa's Apple Tart to serve with our morning coffee.

If you don't catch a direct ferry you will be on board for several hours while the ferry visits many of the Gulf Islands!

For lunch I made what we call a "Picky Plate" 
in case you are curious 
a picky plate is an assortment of foods mostly finger foods.

Cheeses, olives, breadsticks, crackers, salami, hummus, pickles, spreads...

Dinner was a strawberry spinach salad and lasagne.
Dessert was a blackberry pie with ice cream.
(my husband picked the berries)

We had a lovely day.
Drove around a wee bit, went to Hope Bay, Browning, The Driftwood Centre
 then we stopped in at Renaissance Antiques to look at the art.
Our friends Keith and Michelle,
 purchased an antique table with a marble top!


There were large full moons at night.
I love the way they sparkled on the sea...
I read that they were referring to these moons as Full Sturgeon Moons.


Can you see the moon at the top left?
This book is so good that I read late into the evening...
I highly recommend Friendship Point by Alice Elliot Dark.


I need to stay hydrated...
drinking low calorie or no calorie beverages is my goal.
Bubly water comes in many flavours and it is thirst quenching.
NO CALORIES!
I've been buying it by the case.


Found a lovely trench coat at the island Thrift Shop.
Banana Republic

I am excited to have found this classic coat 
which BTW I have been looking to add to my wardrobe for several years.
It is in perfect condition and was at a giveaway price!!



I am wearing Black!
I know it is odd to wear black in the heat of summer 
but this Cut Loose cotton dress is cool and airy.

I feel a bit like an Italian Nonna...
black capri tights, sandals and the dress.
Popped the hat atop and away I go...
met a friend for coffee at the cafe.


California Poppies are glowing up on the Ridge.
They capture the sun and reflect their beauty.

Simple Joys 
are found in everyday life.

I seek out these marvelous surprises that are just waiting to be discovered...


When I first started collecting Sea Glass I found mostly white.
I put the pieces in a vintage sealer jar and that my friends was the beginning of 
this very addictive habit that continues to this day :-))


I love a blue sky with puffy white clouds...


This is the biggest piece of amethyst glass that I have in my collection.
My husband found it for me on Pender Island.
Amethyst, cobalt blue, deep shades of green and aqua are the most difficult to find.

We are back home now and settled into our Humble Bungalow routines.
I've been busy getting in some groceries and my husband has been tidying up the garden.

Hope that your summer is ticking along nicely.



Abraham Darby


Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post was balm for my soul today. Thank you.

Patricia said...

It is always a pleasure to see your beautiful photos. The Cottage is really a very special place, and how lovely to have your friends come to visit. I want to try a picky plate too! Also the apple tart, which looks delicious. You have the best collection of beach glass, the sea must be very giving. Great purchases in the Lenox dish (divine) and the trench coat which is so chic. I wear black in Summer, although it is too hot for tights here! It goes well with all the white linens I own :)

Diannecoop said...

So happy to read your blog!!! Love to read about all your adventures, along with the never ending gorgeous views of your world at the cottage�� please pardon me for asking, but do you not live at the cottage full time? I would absolutely hate to leave your beautiful home ��

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Patricia ~ Lovely to hear from you!
I wear lots of linen... I have trouble not buying more of it to wear...but our summer is short and my closets are small! The sea glass collection is quite vast now...I suppose I could be creative and do something with it...today I am going to harvest the lavender and pop it into sachets to use in the linen and lingerie drawers. I also bought some lavender body wash which I am enjoying in the shower. I don't use perfume much anymore and still have a full bottle of Hermes to spritz when i feel like adding an extra scent.
Take care...
Leslie

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Dianne Coop ~ We reside most of the time in a heritage listed arts and crafts bungalow. We spend a week a month, and two weeks in the summertime on a Gulf Island at the cottage on the edge of the Salish Sea.
We have a wonderful house and cat sitter who takes care of our home while we are away...we are very fortunate to have the time away. It is so quiet on the small island and we totally relax!
Hope you are keeping cool in the heat wave.
Leslie

longtimereader said...

sea glass I totally get I too love it...froze my ankles off collecting it on Mohegan Island in Maine happy hunting and wear some color now and then life too short for just black

Anonymous said...

Lovely post!!

Sue blaney said...

Always enjoy reading your posts :)

Becky said...

I continue to love your log posts. It almost feels like a visit.

Sheila said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love your new trenchcoat - well done on thrifting such a good basic. I used to collect sea glass as a kid - you used to be able to find tons of cobalt and amber glass (from beer bottles).

Debbie said...

Your blog is so calming and soothing. I love your beautiful photos. That one of moonlight on the water! So wonderful. I also love to see what you are reading and cooking. And I grow roses too, although yours look healthier. : ) My two that are the most robust this summer are Tiffany and Sunny Sky. They have bloomed their heads off. My Abraham Darby has not done so well, and usually does. Please keep going with your blog. It is just a delight.

Jeannine said...

Great trench you found - how wonderful! I love that, "picky plates", never heard that before. I would call it "snack". I love a good "snacks" meal - a little of this, a little of that. Your island getaway always sounds so relaxing and rejuvenating. That photo of the moonlight on the water is so beautiful.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

longtimereader ~ Oh you are brave going into the ocean to collect sea glass...I only look on the shore where it is dry! I have a few colourful scarves. lots of blues, and a bold yellow linen dress.

Sue ~ Happy that you pop by and read my blog...was so nice seeing you in person when you stopped in Victoria!

Becky ~ I like to think I am visiting here when I publish a post :-))

Sheila ~ The coat surprised me...it is in great shape...hardly worn! Cobalt glass is hard to find now...maybe it has all been collected over the years!

Debbie ~ Our roses are putting their second flush of blooms...our Abraham Darby has surprised me with more blooms than usual...thought the yellow Julia Child Rose was a goner but now it is full with flowers!
Sunshine and water seem to help make them perform.
Good luck with your roses. Happy to hear that you enjoy the blog!
XO

Jeannine ~ Snack or picky plates are such a great way to use up leftovers too...I like to try new items from the deli and this is a great way to experiment...people seem to like a casual picnic kind of meal...especially in the summer.

Susan said...

I loved Fellowship Point! I have recommended it to friends and my book club.

Julie said...

Leslie, for the first time in years I see that I’m able to comment again. It’s always a pleasure reading your blog. I always felt bad that you might not know there are those of us out there who weren’t saying anything.

I’m going to check out that pastry from the Barefoot Contessa. I have tried and enjoyed some other recipes you’ve shared. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Hels said...

The last photo, of the bee inside the flower, is amazingly detailed and very beautiful.

awhiterockgarden said...

Wonderful post!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Susan ~ I hope that your book club enjoy Friendship Point...I found it to be a lovely book.

Julie ~ I am pleased that you are able to comment now...I love the pastry for that simple rustic dessert.
Hope that you find it tasty too.

Hels ~ It's fun when the bees are poised and ready for a snapshot! They are usually so busy buzzing about that it is often hard to capture them.

a white rock garden ~ I was just over in White Rock...Loved the seafront and the beaches...kids loved the trains. We were so surprised by the steep steep streets...very much like San Francisco !!

t said...

Your time at the cottage always sounds wonderful. I think the way you ‘share’ it sounds fabulous - you have a place to getaway, but you don’t feel stuck in that you have to be there all of the time/have overcommitted, but it has your touches and feels like home.

And though I have never called it as such, picky plates seem to be m6 favorite meals with bits and bobs of this and that. My husband prefers a proper meal, but give me a picky plate any time!

Thank you as always for sharing; though I am not here daily, I come by now and then and always feel uplifted when I do.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

t ~ We love our cottage time...it's a relaxing spot to read,knit,walk,swim, and to just savour the sea views which are so beautiful.
Picky plates started when we were boating...on our sailboat in 1988 and until we sold our 3rd boat during Covid. I continue to make them as there is a variety of food to offer guests and various tastes. My husband has never complained about being hungry after eating them so I guess they are OK...not everyday but on occasion.

Take care and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :-))