Monday, May 23, 2022

May daze...


Sunshine has made an appearance after many days of precipitation...
The sun streaming in through the windows elevate my spirits.


Tall ships sailing on The Salish Sea
out front of Quarterdeck Cottage.


Seas are calm and it is so soothing to watch the ferry boats as they glide past.


Oh my goodness!
Kate Quinn writes the MOST amazing historical fiction.
Her strong female characters are so interesting.

I just finished reading the book and it was a real page turner.
I highly recommend it.


Toadstool seen on our walk.
Walks in nature provide an interesting array of flora and fauna.

The woodpeckers have been working hard on the tree trunks...
~ rat tat tat ~
Purple Martins have returned and their sweet songs serenade us.
The gulls, eagles and ravens calls add to the symphonic sounds.


I found this book at the used bookshop and it sounds like a gentle story.
I know you should not judge a book by the cover but that is what tempted me...
written in 1931 and it just might be a delightful beach read.

I will start it soon.

Yesterday I made a loaf of bread
we don't eat a lot of bread 
every now and then 
I crave a piece of toast with Bonne Maman apricot jam.


Muguet des Bois are in their full flush with numerous glorious blooms.
Their fragrance is totally intoxicating.
I picked a large handful...
popped them in a vase 
placed them in the Humble Bungalow bathroom
their unique scent is wafting in the air...
which reminds me.

Yardley of London had a lily of the valley soap and cologne.
They also made scented products in lavender, rose and other floral scents.

I haven't been wearing fragrance lately and I am not sure why?
I have a lovely parfum by Hermes and it sits on my dresser gathering dust!
I must spritz some on and remind myself how it smells!

We are enjoying a sunny long weekend here in Victoria.
Mr HB has been out in the garden pulling weeds and planting veggies and plants.
The garden is far behind what it usually is at this time of year...
we usually have many many roses in bloom
they are just budding out now so it might be a few weeks yet.

What is your May looking like?
Have you read any good books lately?
Leave a comment and we'll chat!

I will close for now as I need to get some work done here in The Humble Bungalow.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

16 comments:

Latane Barton said...

'The Fortnight in September', now that sounds like a great read. Can't wait til you give your review!

Lorrie said...

It's been a lovely weekend. Good for gardening and walking on beaches. I've just finished two books by Martha ?? Kelly - Sunflower Sisters and Lost Roses. She also wrote Lilac Girls, which I read some time ago. All very good books. Have a great week, Leslie.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts Leslie! And I love the quarterdeck cabin!

Anonymous said...

Lilly of the Valley was my Girl Scout symbol flower. We sang the lovely song at every meeting. "White coral bells upon a slender stalk. Lillies of the Valley on my garden walk. Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring. That will happen only when the fairies sing." Carol in VT

beth b said...

Lily of the Valley always reminds me of my maternal grandmother. She had them in her garden and I believe she wore Muguet des Bois fragrance. I must plant some in my garden! Here in northern Ohio our weather has been an ongoing roller coaster. Cold, hot, wet, dry, wind, tornadoes -- you name it, we've had it all. I so enjoy your blog and look forward to your posts!

Polly said...

I love Lily of the Valley. My garden is looking lovely at the moment but I will have to be vigiant as I have some plants that are invasive. I'm the same with bread, now and again craving real white bread with proper butter and apricot or cherry jam :-)

stacey said...

I can't grow lily of the valley here but I did finally plant sweet peas last fall and am loving the bouquets in my house and sharing them with friends.

Michelle said...

Nice post, as usual. The cottage looks so peaceful. I love your lilies of the valley! mine are not yet in bloom, but they make such a nice little bouquet, and smell heavenly.

Sometimes it is nice to read an older book, and that one looks interesting. I just read a fantastic book called The Usual Rules by Joyce maynard, pulled from the library. It was written 20 years ago, but still timely.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It was a very peaceful and gentle book with attention to detail, I felt like I was on holiday with the family!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have heard of The Lost Roses and will see if I can get the other book at the library. Our weather could warm up a wee bit but we have had a lot of time tending to the garden and it is starting to look like it will be a full flush of roses very soon. Enjoy your week Lorrie

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you! The cottage is a very special place...we totally relax when we are there.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Great girl scout memories!!
The sound of those wee bells would be lovely...the fragrance is so very intoxicating...they have been scenting our bungalow for several weeks and are just starting to fade.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think scents evoke many memories...when I smell Noxema I am reminded of my grandmother. Tornadoes and high winds seem to be more frequent. We had a terrible winds storm when we were at the cottage. Our weather has been much cooler this Spring and I am keen to feel warmer days. The garden roses are far behind too...need some sunshine to get them to bloom!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have to stay on top of the weeding or the garden looks messy...we have an invasive vine called Morning Glory or Bindweed that creeps in from the neighbours yard and wraps itself all around the plants and its very vigorous growth means that we are always yanking it out!! Hope you have a great week Polly!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh I love sweet peas....I plant them every year and love picking them to bring inside the bungalow. Another very unique fragrance...so sweet. Let's hope we both have a bumper crop this year!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The cottage is peaceful most of the time but that windstorm was really nasty...the power was out for 31 hours! We have an emergency stove which came in handy. The Fortnight in September was a very gentle book and it felt a bit like The Enchanted April...both lovely holiday "escape" stories.