Friday, June 26, 2026

Simple, slow living....

 


~ Candle burning in a thrifted silver dish ~

Watching the flame...
the pool of wax softening
the scent of beeswax wafting in the air.

I've been overwhelmed by all your comments.
Slow living and quiet times seem to resonate with many of you.

I had been thinking of my daily routines as simple and not worthy of recording...
sharing them felt somewhat insignificant 
it even crossed my mind that they were dull.

Not dull to me, because they uplift me, but perhaps readers find them of no interest.


We are living in a fast world full of chaos and change...
my recipe for calm and peace is to embrace the small simple Joys.
Go outside and breathe in the fresh air and simply walk.


I posted these two roses floating in the birdbath on my Instagram page...
can you see the reflection of the arbutus tree limbs?

This vast tree is in our neighbour's garden and it has grown so large 
that it has turned our front yard into a shade garden.

We now grown mostly Hostas and shade loving plants in the beds.

We need to adapt and change...

Having lost weight over the past 9 months means that the bulk of my carefully curated wardrobe no longer fits me.

I lost the weight after my surgeon advised me that my intense hip pain would be reduced if I shed a few pounds.
So I took action and cut many starchy carbs, quit drinking alcohol,
avoided fried foods, chips and salty snacks.
Focused on lots of veggies and lean protein.

25 pounds lost ~ I am culling my wardrobe...
consigning many quality items and donating the rest.

I have SO MANY empty hangers!




I'm carefully buying a few new pieces...
and wearing these basics on repeat.


Reading is one of my favourite hobbies!
Book found in a wee free library...
morning coffee and my candles.


~ Garden roses ~

Gifts from the garden
soft, frilly frothy petals and oh so fragrant.

Thank you for those of you who have expressed an interest 
staying with me on this slow and simple journey.

I'm planning to continue these wee posts...
and 
will be posting when my creative spirit 
is feeling like sharing.

In the meantime...
~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


~ The Humble Bungalow ~

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change can be challenging, but it can bring so much growth. Your shade garden is such a good illustration of this. It has grown so full and lush with the addition of the fence and the growth of that arbutus. It was such a treat to look over it on Monday as we visited. Honora

nan crawford said...

I'm happy to have the opportunity to be staying with you for however long you are here, another simple pleasure!.

Patricia said...

Leslie, I'm glad you got such an outpouring of love in the comments - I hope you know by now that your lovely posts are much appreciated!

pégase said...

Bonjour, je prends vraiment plaisir à la lecture de la douceur de vos articles. Ici la vie est lente et on la fait aussi douce que possible. Le programme est identique, lecture thé ou café. Je garde les bougies pour l'automne... comme vous l'avez peut-être vu ou entendu, la France connait une période de canicule assez exceptionnelle. A bientôt

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am glad you will continue posting, as I really enjoy your musings.

Patricia said...

Another enjoyable post Leslie, and I am glad you will still post now and then. It is always a treat to see your beautiful bungalow and garden. The last photo is very pretty and interesting, a different angle on your home. 25 pounds is a huge amount of weight! Well done you for such discipline and I should learn a lesson from you :) Enjoy the wardrobe curating: your choices are always brilliant. What a great photo of the roses in the birdbath. I always admire your photography. Have a great week.

Adele said...

Hooray for the continuation of your posts here! to me, they are anything but 'wee'. I confess to certain pangs of envy about your weight loss-- I cannot seem to be disciplined enough to stay away from some of the treats I love but know are sabotaging me.
the styles you have hanging form a great capsule wardrobe.....if these are in your consign or give away pile, I hope you are able to find pieces you love just as much to fit the new silhouette!

Anonymous said...

Your posting is greatly appreciated and enjoyed. I am excited to see your new wardrobe. I am trying to get my clothing in more of a capsule wardrobe. I have enjoyed how you curate your style. Becki

christy said...

So pleased that you will continue to post your lovely blogs full of enjoying the moment including your gorgeous roses.

GrammaGrits said...

Love your post - so glad to hear you're continuing. Your flowers are beautiful, and I love your wardrobe. Congratulations on the weight lost!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your post, they are not boring, they are soothing in a hectic world

Kamchick said...

Leslie...just want you to know that your blogs are truly uplifting ..every one of them. You are remarkable in how you have handled the hip replacement - your thoughtful steady progress with recovery. What I admire most is your appreciation of the garden you have made there and the joy that it brings - to you and your readers...Thank you for all of it!

Dianne said...

I'm also glad you'll be continuing your posting, when it feels right. I have so enjoyed them, and I share them with friends. They're a source of joy for me.

Colleen said...

I found this saying some time ago ' The older you get the more you realize how precious life is. You have no desire for drama, conflict or stress. You just want, good friends, a cosy home, food on the table and people who make you happy'. I feel this could be all of us. 🕊️

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a treat in many ways. Like letters from a sister I never had. And for me, almost seventy, like you with children and grandkids, but totally unlike you once divorced, once widowed, it is a source of joy to get glimpses of your long lasting marriage to your teen age sweetheart. It shows me that lasting love is a thing that exist and that makes me happy, for you and for our world. Your blog creates a community for us, all over the globe, who enjoy a slow and unspectacular life. And you do not try to sell us stuff or opinions. As long as you will take the trouble to share snippets of your life, I will cherish your blog. Thank you! (From Sweden)

Lorrie said...

I love reading about the quiet rhythms of life that you express, Leslie. So glad you'll be continuing. And congratulations on your weight loss! That's no small feat!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you posted. I find your blog so comforting and uplifting. Congratulations on the weight loss and on the recovery from your hip replacement. You are looking well. Your photos are always beautiful and I am looking forward to hearing/seeing what you have carefully chosen for you new wardrobe. Best wishes and regards from Kathryn in New Zealand.

Susan Lee said...

I have followed your vlog for many years now and you have inspired me to grow David Austin roses. This year they are magnificent, a wonderful scent and so many blooms. I think about you when I’m out in the garden dead heading and watering etc. Thank you so much for your inspirational vlogs, I look forward reading them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you will continue to post; there's no one out there like you! It's truly good to come here, to your special spot on the internet, and relax. Congratulations on the impressive weight loss, but I admit that I'm sad for some of the lovely pieces of clothing you've found along the way. But now someone else can have the joy of thrifting them! And you will find beautiful new ones in a new size.
Love the photo of the candle on the Evergreen book, and also the floating roses with the sky reflections. So pretty.
Erina

Jeannine said...

Happy to hear so many let you know how much they appreciate your postings and that it made a difference to you. Well done on the weight loss - very inspiring and proof of the possibilities we all have in front of us. Always love your pictures. Thanks for all you do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to share your journey as fits your timing best. Truly, your posts inspire and remind me to appreciate the beauty that does appear in daily life and to stay focused on my own health journey.

Anonymous said...

So glad you’ll continue your lovely, comforting blog.

Anonymous said...

Another happy follower, and will remain one as long as you choose to post.
You are an inspiring woman. Thank you for sharing bits of your home, garden, wardrobe and comforting life.
Joan S

Julia said...

Let me add my voice to these affirmations-love your clothing and style ideas, your garden and the recipes, too! Please keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie I love your blog!! Your love for all things beautiful is just lovely. I enjoy your walks, your recipes not to mention your sense of style. Onwards and upwards xx

Susan said...

Love the slow living. After decades of insane workload and stress, the finest treat I know is to sit quietly and unrushed of a morning, reading, sipping coffee, journaling, looking at the trees growing outside my window. Slowly meeting the day with calm rituals and planning pleasant revitalizing things to do throughout the day. Even house chores with music and breaks become satisfying. Slow living is taking time to finally look around and enjoy what's right in front of you.