Monday, December 10, 2012

Simple supper for a busy weekday...a speedy post.

At this time of year there are lots of things to do.
Shopping, wrapping, baking, entertaining, events, parties...

I like to keep things as simple and stress free as possible and one thing I find easy is making a big batch of nourishing soup.


On a rainy Sunday before a busy week
I will take some stock and meat that I have frozen from a previous dinner of turkey or chicken and make soup.
The large Le Creuset Dutch Oven is a perfect size for this job.
Saute several diced onions, a few stalks of celery cubed and a handful of carrots cut into small bite size chunks.
After about 10 minutes I add a bit of water and boil them to soften them completely before adding the stock and the meat. You can add a variety of vegetables whatever you have on hand and like.
Season with salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence...simmer for several hours.

The Humble Bungalow smells SO GOOD on soup night!

Now you can go about whatever it is that you need to do.

Wrap the presents...



Read a book by the fire...
wood is cut and stacked on the porch 
the fire is warm and cozy
so cleverly lit by Mr. HB.

I have a few things on my do list that I need to tend to...
it's a busy time for The Hostess and I must keep my eye on the ball.
Doing a little bit everyday keeps me on track and relaxed.



How are your festive plans shaping up?
Are you savoring your days?
Enjoying the sights of all the lights...
or taking a few moments to reflect on those less fortunate and giving to the local charities?

Perhaps you are one of the needy who need assistance from those who can share their good fortune.
Our local green grocer makes it easy to contribute to the local Food Banks...
when you ring the groceries through you simply add a paper barcoded coupon in the denomination that you want to give.

If I was in need I'd like to think that someone might care enough to share.



Cheerio.

Be Well, Be Kind and Be Lovely!

6 comments:

  1. I am almost done my gift-buying - just a few more things to buy and wrap and then I'm done! Music lessons are winding up this week before Christmas so I will have some time off. Hubs and I will have a quiet Christmas at home this year, which we are looking forward to. Usually it's really busy and we hardly have quiet time!

    Glad to hear your Christmas preparations are coming along swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a lovely reminder of "goodwill toward men/women" this festive season. I will try out your soup....it looks delish and I'm sure
    it will taste it too :)
    I too have a laundry list of gifts to buy, wrap and give out, for me part of the fun is figuring out what to purchase for family and friends.

    Glad to hear that you can find some time to relax in front of a nicely lit fire and be thankfull for your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year my Christmas holidays are remarkably filled with activity. I was beginning to get grumpy because the wrapping seemed endless. My husband's suggestion, "Buy less." And he is right.

    Last evening, we brought my 4 year-old granddaughter to a gingerbread house display in the lobby of a local hotel. There was a huge tree, lovely decorations and someone playing the piano. My granddaughter began to dance to the music, oblivious to those watching her. She told me that she felt like Clara in the Nutcracker and everything was so beautiful. My grumpiness dissolved as I began to see things through her eyes. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful. I should make soup more often! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Several containers of frozen stock in the freezer are like solid gold! Our local market also sells wonderful chicken, veal or fish stock if I run out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are great soup eaters,so easy to bulk up with vegetables,herbs & seeds easy peasy for a gel that dislikes cooking!

    Your soup sounds delicious.Ida

    ReplyDelete