Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Wine survivor"

We had fun at my staff party that was held a few weekends ago.
There are quite a few people on staff at my new school.
We have over 600 students enrolled and it is a dual track school, both French and English are taught in the 22 divisions. It is the school that my own children attended and curiously I attended kindergarten there as well!
(many moons ago!)

The party was held at the home of one of my colleagues. Her home is modern, large and has a great layout for entertaining. Over 50 people were in attendance!
We were asked to bring an appetizer or dessert and something to drink.
If we wanted to participate in the game "wine survivor" we needed to bring a bottle of wine for each person that wished to play. Everyone got their name entered 3 times and every 15 minutes 3 names were drawn from a bag.
The last 3 names to be drawn won the wine.
The last name drawn got 15 bottles to take home, the second received 8 and the third got 4.

Mr. HB was fortunate enough to make 2nd place and so we toted home 8 bottles and our wine rack is no longer empty!


We have served a few bottles to our guests already.
The Roast Beef Sunday dinner was enjoyed with a Cabernet Sauvignon.

I have been preoccupied with Christmas preparations and the renovations so my posting has been rather sporadic.

I know that I am not alone in finding that time is full of things to do
and there do not seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish what is written on my list.

I do find it very satisfying to cross things off and look at a shorter list.

Holidays are on the horizon
 and I will be looking forward to sleeping in later 
and savouring life in the slow lane.

How about you?
Are you ready for the festive season?




10 comments:

  1. Some things are done and some wait for next week. I'm not fretting at all this year - baking will be accomplished and gifts will be wrapped. It always happens. Tonight there'll be a Christmas party at a group home, and I'll fill a tin with the best store-bought cookies I can find - one of my little shortcuts that helps me stay calm and happy at a hectic time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 bottles - wowee!
    There's just three of us, so I don't have much to do, I'd love to be making a magical Christmas for children or a big group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on holiday, so I need to get back into the swing of things. Mr SK does all the cooking at Christmas, and I have to do everything else. I think he drew the short straw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for winning wine!

    I need to make a LCBO run tomorrow morning before the crowds descend!

    I think you have been blogging at a great pace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, blogging and the holidays are not an easy combination...have a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fun game, had not heard of it! My post tomorrow is on getting into the spirit. This is our first Christmas out of our home of 25 years, and without both our children present- so it is bound to be bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like political elections in the US, Christmas holiday preparations are too long a period of time for me. Sorry to be a grump, but it's literally 1 month. By the time it arrives, I'm over it. Will look forward to Duchesse's post tomorrow about getting in the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In all honesty, I'm ducking my head and hoping to get through it all with minimum effort:).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I have repeated, I like the time b e f o r e Christmas, not the very date.
    As for preparations, not much done = not much left.
    We no longer serve traditional treats.
    The one thing I wish to savor, is our traditional visit to the stable on Christmas Eve. Apples and carrots for the horses : ), a doggy treat for Morty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I'm not ready yet. My parents used to call me Last minute Liz!
    (Clever hubby for winning the wine.)

    ReplyDelete