Monday, October 10, 2011

Roasted veggie dish, a Humble Bungalow favourite.

Roasted veggies are quick and easy and they compliment chicken, turkey and roast beef.
I received this delicious recipe from an Australian exchange teacher many moons ago.
My beloved copy has become worn, spotted, and faded, a true indication of it's value.



This vegetable medley is mouthwatering and even the fussiest of eaters will find something to like about this dish.

6 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 cups whole mushrooms
2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 medium zucchini, cut into bite size chunks
1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
2 large bell peppers, red and yellow, cut into bite size chunks
4 or 5 cloves of whole garlic
several tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper
1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled


Oil a large roasting pan and add vegetables, garlic, oil and herbs. Mix well to coat. Roast fat 425 degrees for 30 minutes turning once or twice during baking. Turn on the broiler for 5 minutes until edges of veggies start to brown.

Remove and transfer to a serving bowl.
Toss with vinegar, salt, pepper, and sprinkle crumbled feta over top.
Serve warm.

The recipe is very forgiving...use what you have in your larder.
It tastes great every time.

The Bungalow is heavily scented with the roasted veggies as I type.


I used sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and parsnips
as these autumnal root vegetables will be accompanying a roasted Thanksgiving dinner which will be served at my sister's home in horse country.

I wrote this out yesterday and as I am ready to post it now...
dinner was delicious and the company fine.
Mother did not want to leave at 10:00 when everyone was making moves to depart!
She had such a great time and looked lovely in her black skirt and top with her baroque opera length pearls.

It was closing in on 11:00 when we dropped her off at her condo...
I am still in my nightie and I must get going.

Bon appetit!

11 comments:

  1. Something similar will be on the menu for our Thanksgiving dinner a deux this afternoon. We're roasting a home-grown chicken, but it's a big bruiser, so there will be leftovers, which are, of course, the best part of the meal!
    Happy Thanksgiving as you venture out into the wilds up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a healthy and comforting dish for fall!

    I am very glad to hear your mother enjoyed herself so. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our home had a similar scent yesterday as we roasted some eggplant, zucchini and sweet potatoes.

    It sounds like your Thanksgiving was festive and fun, even if it did run a bit late. You know you've outdone yourself when the guests don't want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had the most wonderful day. I love roasted vegetables. I have never added balsamic vinegar though and that must be a delicious addition; next time I will definately put some in. (-:

    You might be interested to know that I am searching for a kitty. I lost my wonderful Mozart last year. I think I have found the perfect little guy, I am very excitied. If he is the one I should be able to bring him home right before Christmas. A great present...yes? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you got that recipe from an Aussie I'm betting it was a version of a Bill Granger recipe.He's very good on tasty one dish family recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! A Mama with baroque, opera length pearls. So it's hereditary?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do something similar with roasted vegetables, and like you, I love the way they make the house smell. If I make up a batch on the weekend, I'm happy to augment the week's meals with extra veggies, and they make a good lunch-to-go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm....we'll be having this on Thanksgiving too! Opera length pearls, sounds very lovely and festive! I hope she let's you borrow them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love roast veggies and they are so perfect to usher in fall! I will have to try your recipe. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, sounds like a winner, I have tones of rosemary in my garden and never seem to use it. I sent my son out once to get me a bit and he came back with a bucket! He was 7 at the time, he loves to grind it and garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. La Vie Quotidienne- Yes a great present and one that you will adore for years to come! I say go for it!

    Share my garden- The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :)

    Annie- I have a set of my own yet they are not as fabulous as Mother's and the romantic part about her set is that Father went on his own to the jewelers and specifically chose these for my Mother as a surpirse so they have extra special meaning...

    I am happy to share this recipe with you all and hope that you are as excited about it as I continue to be.

    ReplyDelete