Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hosta la vista...

Sum and Substance looked fabulous in a Master Gardener's Garden...
which I visited on a Garden Club Members Night...
it's an evening when several members open their yards for viewing....
it's very casual and fun.

Our Garden Hostess lives in a very affluent area of town, is a talented artist, and her home and garden are grand and very spacious....in fact it is quite well known.
Her home and garden have been profiled in many magazines both here in Canada and the US.

She could be very affected or snobby...but is the exact opposite of what you might expect...
she drives a Humble car, wears understated clothing and is one of the most natural and gracious women that I have had the opportunity to meet.
Her smile lights up a room...
think of Audrey Hepburn in her 40's...that's the look.

But I digress...

I fell so hard for this variety of Hosta that I bought a bare root plant and popped it in the front patch of the Humble Bungalow....not really thinking...ahead...

You might get an idea of it's size by looking at the front stairs to the top right.
It is still growing large.



I'll need to divide this early in the fall...
the cuttings will be free for anyone walking by.
I feel that I erred in choosing this one...
scale and proportion need to be evaluated BEFORE planting!

Oh well, I am always learning...
and my garden teaches me much.

I posted a couple of days ago about a lovely home in my neighbourhood 
they have the most inviting garden...
no one was about but I did take the liberty of snapping some photos!
Just in case you missed it ...


Stickley the resident Bungalow Cat
nibbling some greenery from the planter.
Her compounded medications twice daily are agreeing with her and she has been content to find the sunny patches in the afternoon and lay about.

I would love to have a lay about day.....
I think I might just schedule one in sometime soon.

After all, isn't that what holidays are all about?

Have a lovely weekend doing what you love.





4 comments:

  1. You could split it right now! We have to split ours all summer long - we did it in April and within a week you would'nt know they had been touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suburban princess- I thought it might be too shocking but if your successful, I will try it now...better to do it when the weather is nicer anyways. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the best of possible worlds, people with large gardens ought to be very nice, unassuming, and grateful for what they have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LPC-I do believe that you are right...and I find it so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete