Wednesday, March 24, 2010

As you requested, scarf tying tutorial.

Oh how much fun is this a lesson plan on the blog!
I tie my scarf so "absent mindedly" by rote, that I had to break it down in parts.

I hope that it is easy to follow and truth be told practice makes perfect, so do your homework and no there will not be a test and you will not be graded on your results...self evaluation will be your measure of success.

I hope that these inages help to demonstrate the simple tie. This works with long scarves and generally the thinner ones. I have done this with a thick cashmere Club Monaco one and it is very cozy but quite warm as there is so much volume!

Drape scarf over your neck and let ends hang in front, grab the other side.



Wrap around your neck once loosely


Open up the loop so there is room to pull the other side through the opening


Place your hand through the loop and grab the scarf on the opposite side



Pull through the loop



and voila, the tie!

The internet has videos of scarf tying, YouTube for one. 
I didn't spend much time looking up the tie I use because I do not know it's name!
Maybe someone does know what it is called...please leave a comment and or a link if you do know and we'll all be the wiser.

I know there are various styles of learners; audial, visual and experiencial so other than hearing me I hope that I have addressed the basics and those of you who wanted instructions are happy with the results.

13 comments:

  1. So that's how it is done.

    Thank you! Great, easy to follow pictures.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that knot... it's how I always tie my longer scarves too... once you get the hang of it it's easy and someone invariably asks you how you tied it too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have figured that out on my own. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing your savoir faire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I am going to try it. Thanks for the tutorial.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One in..one out...I like that idea. I usually have the two in and down.
    Good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats wonderful, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. anonymous- I am a visual learner so it helps me to see step by step pictures or watch a video...happy that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I too Love this way of performing this wonderful "new to me" art. I have loved scarfs but never really got the hang of them and was when they were not so popular. I saw one of the airline stewardess had this really cute scarf and I did manage to master that one. All it was a shorter scarf and make a knot in the center and they tie it behind your neck so hung like a necklace. BUT I tooo am anxious to try this one it looks soo interesting I got a couple scarfs for Christmas. Thanks so much. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. hischild828- Sandi...I love scarves too and wear them often. Deja Pseu has a blog and shows many more blog tutorials if you are in need of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was at a thrift store in Laguna Beach a week ago with my daughter and thought of you! They had an Hermes scarf tying book. A little orange square book for $5. Of course I could not pass it up...but I thought of you immediately and then today I noticed your scarf tying tutorial post on the right of your blog...just had to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie- That little orange book will inspire you to wear your scarves in many different ways. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that it is getting cold again, I can break out the scarves. My teen-aged daughter always tells me that I don't know how to tie a scarf, but then she is unwilling to help me figure out how to do it 'right'. I'm going to break out this tie tomorrow and give her one long, smug look. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete