Thursday, December 14, 2017

A simple Hostess gift....

Every year I make a simple chocolate bark.
It has become a tradition in our Humble Bungalow...
it is a tasty treat.
I love to package it up and give it as a Hostess gift.


I use 225 g package of semi sweet chocolate...
melt it gently in a double boiler or in a micro wave.
Be very careful not to burn it.

I vary the ingredients from year to year.
Sometimes I use almond slices and dried cranberries.

This year 
I am using pistachios and candied ginger.

I roughly chop about a cup of pistachios and 1/2 cup of candied ginger.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
pour the melted chocolate on top and using a spatula spread it out.
Sprinkle the chocolate with the nuts and ginger 
then put it in the refrigerator to harden.

Break it apart and put into cello bags or a pretty container.
I keep it in the fridge.

Ready for snacking or a handy gift!


This is the "test batch" 
we ate it all up 
 I need to make some more!

I plan to make a double batch next time.

How are your holiday preparations coming along?

I am one of the many volunteers who are serving a turkey luncheon to the seniors at the club so I must close for now.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~



23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love making chocolate bark - and better chocolate (not the supermarket style) makes such a difference. More expensive, yes, and my friends are worth the splurge!

Lorrie said...

A great gift idea! I love chocolate!

Tomato Thymes said...

I just made chocolate bark today and I use Lindt Bittersweet Berne bar or some call it the gold bar. I have never heard of Bernard. I need to try that one too. You bark looks delicious.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy !!
I just might make some.

Ali

Pondside said...

What a great idea!.....and it looks yummy!

Kerrie Roberts said...

These are called 'mendicants' in France and are also a christmas tradition ( though they are usually round or oval). Such a lovely festive idea and your friends are very lucky.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious ! Your friends must be happy (and your family as well)
I adore chocolate,Lindt,Villars,Belgian,as well as some of our excellent brands
Dottoressa

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Indeed! So hard to resist!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have used Bernard Callibeut too but really I am not that discerning about chocolate. Your friends must love your gift!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

So do I...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Bernard Callibeut make those small chocolate buttons that are sold in bulk...I used them for my dipped dried fruit a few Christmas's ago...I posted the recipe on the blog. See the tags on the side bard and click on recipes and you can search for it.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Its a quick and easy confection to make and so well received!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Its too yummy...my waistline can attest to that fact!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

That is a new French word for me today...the chocolate shops in Paris were totally amazing...the sweets were works of art!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have those Lindt bars here too...and a new chocolate shop opened on Pender Island where we have the shared cottage and they make really amazing chocolates and their hot chocolate os made using ganache and topped with whipped cream if you desire...I opt to have mine plain as it is so rich...

Priscilla said...

It's bark not toffee! Going to make your recipe for almond bark this year! Thanks Leslie 💖

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope you like it Priscilla!

Kerrie Roberts said...

Leslie, the next time you come to France (!!!) you should explore other cities and try the local specialities. Paris is wonderful, but so are many other places here.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I loved the south of France. I stayed in Auvillat and we visited Cahors, St Cirq la Popie and went to the Perche Melle Cave’s. I would enjoy seeing more of France especially the villages in Provence.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Typo Auvillar!

Sydney Shop Girl said...

Thank for sharing such a simple and effective gift idea.

I also wanted to take this chance to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I know it might be a bittersweet and sometimes sad time as well for you with your mother's passing but I'm sending much love and my thoughts.

SSG xxx

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Seasons greetings to you and yours SSG! 🎄

Live Chic and Well said...

Yum, chocolate and pistachio sound like a delicious combination. I’ll be giving this a go as I think my sister would love it. Plus a test batch for myself of course.
I just discovered your blog and am a fellow fan of French chic 😊
Sarah www.livechicandwell.com