Monday, October 20, 2014

Cozy days...cashmere and cooking.

Fall is settling in with cooler days and foggy mornings...
the trees are shedding their leaves and we have put the furnace on to chase the damp away.

The change in weather means putting on cashmere sweaters and socks.
Love the cozy feel of cashmere as it keeps me warm.
I have several cashmere sweaters...
a vintage Johnson's of Elgin pullover in black, a navy V neck cardigan from Lands' End, and a long grey V neck cardigan from Lord and Taylor.

After I have done most of the domestics I like to retire to the comfort of the Morris chair in the living room put my feet up and cocoon with a good book and a hot cup of tea.
The cats usually follow me in and find a chair to curl up onto for a nap...and often it's on my lap.

Warm beverages, soups, stews, and roasts are such a happy marriage with the cooler weather.
In the kitchen, apron on, stirring a broth or baking is so soothing...
savouring the scents as they waft about our Humble Bungalow kitchen.


Pepper likes to keep me company and is stretched out on the bench seat by the arts and crafts trestle table.


It's so convenient having utensils close to the stove.
McCoy jardinere in basket weave pattern holds an amazing amount of spoons and spatulas.
The yellow silicone duck is actually a spoon holder...
it sits on the rim of pots with the spoon wedged in the middle.
I have two of these matte white planters and I use the other one for the stainless utensils.
They figure prominently in our kitchen as they sit on the granite counter top right by the stove.


The new "Whitewater Cooks" book has been published and I could not resist buying a copy.


Inspired
 I rolled up my sleeves, put on my apron and got busy.


Olive oil Orange Cake


Why stop now?
The kitchen is already a mess so I made some healthy muffins...
I found the recipe on the package of Roger's Ancient Grains Porridge Oats.


Martha Stewart uses an ice cream scoop to portion out muffin batter.
I have adopted her idea and it's quick and easy.


Packed with fibre and goodness these make a great breakfast with a bowl of fruit.


I'm halfway through this delightful book.
It's a bit far fetched but is a lovely escape ~ pure entertainment.

Hope your week is off to a great start.
Keep cozy.
XO

(The"Ugly Truth" kitchen renovation post has been popular...stay tuned as a few more are on the way)

20 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Those muffins looks delicious. I must look for that cookbook.

Madame Là-bas said...

I am reading the 100 year old Man for my book group. It is a light read and the ladies are enjoying it. I was in La Conner this week-end with Maman and wore my Pringle cashmere sweater from Edinburgh. I didn't need a jacket. A healthy muffin recipe would be nice as I feel as though I have fallen off the WW wagon.

Lorrie said...

I found the 100 year old Man a bit far-fetched as well. Someone had told me how funny it was and I kept waiting for the hilarity. It's okay for escapism, and I found the end particularly satisfying.
Cashmere is something I'm taking on and off these days. We've had such a warm weekend that no jacket or sweater was necessary. Today's been a little cooler and I made broth from a chicken roasted on Sunday. Your cookbook looks interesting.

Juliet said...

How brave of you to "manhandle" a 3l can of olive oil! That cake looks delicious, does it have whole oranges as an ingredient?
Stay warm: we have sunshine and winds from ex-hurricane Gonzalo.

Susan said...

Always enjoy seeing your cats--and what you are up to in your lovely kitchen.

kristieinbc said...

I didn't know there was a new Whitewater cookbook! I just might have to place an order today. I'm happy to read that you're enjoying that book. It's on my Kindle, waiting to be read.

Swissy said...

You know how to be cosy! And you inspire me to sit back and enjoy the quiet moments...with tea. Question: How do you manage to keep your cashmere sweaters clean and not smelling of cooking? I tend, alas, to wear only easily washable tops for my housekeeping, cooking, gardening life, but I know I could look better! Thanks--

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Well I know what I do when I fall off the WW wagon...I increase the length of my walks, eat fruits and salads and lean protein for a few days and skip the wine.
Enjoy the sunshine!

Jennifer said...

It sounds like a book I might enjoy! Nothing sounds more cozy than how you spent your day!! Quiet moments are so important to my spirit. A good book, a lovely cup of tea and cashmere. That's the life for me:). Enjoy your day my friend.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love a Sunday roast chicken as it takes so good and then after it's a great soup starter. The weekend was warm despite the foggy mornings and late evenings. I'm happy to be onshore when the fog rolls in...are you still taking your boat out?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I know that 3 L can is a bit of a slippery one to deal with...I have had a few mishaps in the past and they are never good. Batten down those hatches and keep cozy Juliet.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Susan! It's always nice hearing from you too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The cookbook was a surprise...
I had heard a rumour there was a new one but when I went to their website I couldn't see it but I spoke with Meagan at Ivy's bookshop on the Avenue and she told me that they were selling like hotcakes so I went in and grabbed a copy.
They will make fabulous Xmas gifts for the cooks on your list.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I do not usually cook or bake wearing cashmere because I get so hot!
(dare I say hot flashes hot here on the blog?)
I wear an apron and when I am finished I pop them on...
I use the handwash cycle on the LG machine and it does an amazing job with wool sweaters and is easier than hand washing which I used to do using Aveda Shampure and roll them in a towel and lay them flat to dry which took several days.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Jennifer,
Moments of quiet contemplation feed my soul and help to keep me grounded in this busy world.
Tea of course, is the elixer of the Gods, but you know that already!
Take care and hope you have a wonderful week!
XO

Bonnie said...

I am now lusting over the olive oil orange cake....yum! I love spending time in the kitchen. Enjoy your week. Hugs! Bonnie

LPC said...

I love reading these posts of yours - it's as though my mother were still young enough to make me welcome in her house.

KSL said...

I love these posts too - very cozy. I made a great soup after I read this, ignoring the heat outside. No cashmere yet.

Anonymous said...

How did the olive oil orange cake turn out? The picture in the book looks good but the cake looks a little dense. Hope it didn't taste like olive oil! :-) Emily

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

No olive oil taste at all...surprise maybe but a great cake!