Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

Ah summertime and the living is easy...
well not exactly easy especially when one has a garden to tend.
There seems to be so many jobs to do...
deadheading the roses is a daily activity and then there is the watering.
Harvesting the vegetables and weeding...
it is important to take time out to admire the beauty of the garden.


These Rockport flip flops are so old I cannot remember when I bought them but they are still in great shape.


The iceberg roses and the Lady's Mantle are just about finished their summer flush...
it will be sad to see them go but they will be back again next year.
This antique vase has a yellow tinge to the glass and a few chips to the rim but I love using it as it is heavy and I think it has quite a lovely shape.


Our Hosta leaves hold water long after the rain has stopped.


The linen tea towels are getting softer with age and I absolutely love ironing them...
there is something so soothing about standing at the ironing board watching the wrinkles smooth away.
Simple domestic chores can be very full filling.


I've been thinking about my Father a lot lately...
I miss him and it's been 7 years since he's been gone.
He's still alive in my heart and I have great memories that I can recall anytime I choose.

He's looking pretty smug about his catch don't you think?


He looks quite dapper here on this sandstone rocky outcropping.


I have been neglecting wearing my pearls in this heat...
I really must give them some time to shine.
Gardening in pearls is not a good idea but I have worn them outside while working in the heat.
My former neighbour used to garden in a skirt, twin set, pearls and a lovely straw hat.
She carried her trug as she wandered about dabbling in the dirt.
Like with my cooking I am a messy gardener...
and have recently taken to wearing my linen apron outdoors.


Rose petals rain down onto the path and I gathered a few for the house.
Harumi Ota's bowl is a perfect vessel to display them.


Loving the mauve tinge to these hydrangeas.
Such a delicate flower...all the wee details have come together to make them somewhat enchanting.


Not a breath of wind today on my walk...
there is such peace and serenity when the ocean is calm.
I walked with my friend and we chatted during our 10K jaunt.
So many people out and about enjoying the sunshine and seashore.
We saw some brave people in swimming.
Our water here is very cold.


I need to get busy making some dinner time so I'll bid you adieu.
Be Well and Be Kind...
until next time we meet here in The Humble Bungalow.

Hostess

16 comments:

  1. Lovely Leslie. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely slice of your summer in photos and thoughts. The calm of the ocean is just breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post! Your dad looks very dapper! What a lovely time you must have in your garden.Pearls can be worn anytime and I love a good apron. Why does the water seem so cold? When I was a girl, I loved going into the ocean or lakes. Now it has to be tropical. I really like that Harumi Ota dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been surprised at how warm the ocean is for this early in July, but I know you're much more exposed where you are. The tide's been perfect for late afternoon swims -- our favourite time to go in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful slice of life post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post . . . dapper dad too . . .
    Gorgeous flowers and arranging . . .
    I like the thought of gardening in pearls . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice post! It sounds like your summer is going just the way summers should. All of us in BC need to take advantage of this heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful Leslie!! Enjoy your weekend.
    xoJennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super post. I loved the photos of your Father, what a handsome fellow and a great fisherman too. My Father loved to fish and I have fond memories of him going off with all of his gear...and sometimes bringing home a catch!

    Helen Dillon, the great irish gardener always wears pearls with her coveralls in the garden...for me in our 100 degree heat that would nice but not very practical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful roses, both pictures, and great picture of the hydrangea. What nice photos of your dad too. I have to get the clasp on my pearls fixed. I could wear them gardening since for me it is only watering a few pots on the deck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your shots of roses and Lady's Mantle - so casual, so elegant.
    I have been walking in your neighbourhood a lot in the last few days. There are houses to look at and neighbourhood 'feel' to investigate. We're still waiting for conditions to be lifted, so I'm only investigating for now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your father has every right to look pleased about that catch of fish. What a great photo from the past. I love the roses and Lady's Mantle bouquet - white roses are exquisite. Hope your weekend was great; we spent ours on the boat and it was a good place to be in all the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delightful post! The pictures of your father are so fine – he was a handsome man. Your roses too are lovely – I used to have a rose garden many years ago – 150 bushes, but with work and the Georgia weather and insects, they are now gone. I visit rose gardens in our area as often as I can. Right now we are busy with all the events commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War but we only have plants in pots, so they do not take too much time. I am very sorry to report though that our 30 years old fig tree did not make it after our few days of snow – there is one branch left with some leaves so maybe it will return within a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your vision of summer with those of us freezing in the Southern Hemisphere.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The photos of your father bring back memories of mine. Fishing was a favourite way to pass the time and enjoy each other's company, up at the cottage. I never could bring myself to eat the "catch of the day" and didn't know what I was missing until a few years ago when I finally tried perch caught in Lake Simcoe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to mention; pearls love the light, and humidity, so don't be afraid to wear them in summer. Of course you know... perfume, hairspray... blah, blah blah; but they do like light, and moisture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...